Honored Contributor

I got my flu shot this morning.

[ Edited ]

Yup, it's that time again. I got mine at Walgreens. I got the quad version since I'm not 65yo yet.  Flu shots should be taken before the end of October. 

ETA- Fluzone High-Dose is a trivalent vaccine recommended for people 65y and older.

Honored Contributor

Re: I got my flu shot this morning.

Thanks  we will get ours asap

Respected Contributor

I hope they make it better this year.  Last year's shot was only 36% effective.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I hope they make it better this year.  Last year's shot was only 36% effective.

Well at least that's 36% above 0 and it could still make a difference when you consider millions of people.

Respected Contributor

My employer gives it to me for free so I'm sure they'll be beckoning me soon. So glad I get the convenience of having it done at work and paying zero for it. It's been several years since I had the flu so fingers crossed I keep up the trend again this season!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

My employer gives it to me for free so I'm sure they'll be beckoning me soon. So glad I get the convenience of having it done at work and paying zero for it. It's been several years since I had the flu so fingers crossed I keep up the trend again this season!

When I was working, at a hospital, there was a nurse who would go around and give flu shots right on the spot where you were working.  No need to go and get one any place else. It was so convenient and free. I retired from that job and now my flu shots are 100% paid for with my insurance. Otherwise I think they would cost me somewhere around $50 for the quad.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I'll get mine at Walgreen's too because of their get one give one program. Geez, I was in that area of town this morning too, should've stopped. I will.

If you're 65 yet and got a shot w/4 serums, I wonder what's in the shot over 65...Seems it's like a c*ap shoot anyway sometimes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@SilleeMee   I'll get mine at Walgreen's too because of their get one give one program. Geez, I was in that area of town this morning too, should've stopped. I will.

If you're 65 yet and got a shot w/4 serums, I wonder what's in the shot over 65...Seems it's like a c*ap shoot anyway sometimes.

I believe the shot for people 65+ is a trivalent type containing 4X the amount of antigen than the standard trivalent dose. The quad is not available in the higher dose...at least that is what I'm finding. @PINKdogWOOD 

ETA- The shot for people 65y and older is called Fluzone High-Dose, a trivalent vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Sounds like the same as last year.

Honored Contributor

Good for you!  We drove by CVS yesterday and there was flu shot sign.  I'm going to get mine sometime this week.  I want it over and done with early.