Honored Contributor

Re: I got my flu shot & a pneumonia shot.

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Yes. I have asthma, so I try to take all precautions and get all my vaccines. I got the pneumonia vaccines a few years ago, so I'm good for now.

@Alison Wonderland   You need to get the new pneumonia vaccine, the Prevnar, which is different from the one a few years ago.  Check with the doc that gave you the shot and make sure you have the latest one.  If it has been a few years, most likely you did not get it.

I do not get the shots.  Wish I did.  I have immunoglobulin deficiency and the shots do not work for me because I do not make antibodies.  So my chances are with the Lord.  I have had shingles shots and had shingles more than twice and had flu any time I got the vaccine.  Finally, doctors decided to find out why and that is why.  No immunity.  So, please, if you can get the shots, get them.  By getting your shot, you enhance my chances of staying well because the more who get shots, the fewer carriers of these dread diseases and the less likely my chances that way.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Yes, I got both a couple weeks ago.  The pneumonia shot left me with a sore arm and feeling punky for a few days..,,but all is well now.

Was told there was a second, different pneumonia shot I will get next year, then I am covered for life.  I'm 65.

@alicedee   Then it worked if you were sore.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Yes. I have asthma, so I try to take all precautions and get all my vaccines. I got the pneumonia vaccines a few years ago, so I'm good for now.

@Alison Wonderland   You need to get the new pneumonia vaccine, the Prevnar, which is different from the one a few years ago.  Check with the doc that gave you the shot and make sure you have the latest one.  If it has been a few years, most likely you did not get it.

I do not get the shots.  Wish I did.  I have immunoglobulin deficiency and the shots do not work for me because I do not make antibodies.  So my chances are with the Lord.  I have had shingles shots and had shingles more than twice and had flu any time I got the vaccine.  Finally, doctors decided to find out why and that is why.  No immunity.  So, please, if you can get the shots, get them.  By getting your shot, you enhance my chances of staying well because the more who get shots, the fewer carriers of these dread diseases and the less likely my chances that way.

Thanks, but my doctor told me just last month that I'm covered and I'll trust her.

Trusted Contributor

My husband has stage 3 COPD, and I insisted he get his flu and pneumonia shot this year.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

yes i got my flu shot last week.. i work in a hospital and its manadarory. but even the ones who get it still get sick.. i was sick for about 5 days last yr.. wish it was a shot that covered all the winter bugs lol