Honored Contributor

Re: I got my flu shot & a pneumonia shot.

@CelticCrafter 

People take the stronger of the flu shots for reasons other than age.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Just a reminder, if you have a cornea transplant, be sure to check ith your eye surgeon before you get a flu shot.  You need steroids so that your transplant is not rejected.

Esteemed Contributor

I got my flu and pneumonia shots a couple of weeks ago.  This was my first pneumonia shot.  It made me sick for a couple of days - chills, fatigue, headache.     

Esteemed Contributor

Surprisingly I don't feel bad.  My arms aren't even sore.  After my first flu shot years ago I felt lousy for days. Have had no issue in the years since.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I  got our flu shot today.  Next year we will add the pneumonia shot as we will be age 65.

Respected Contributor

I got my flu shot at Walgreen's a couple of weeks ago.

My arms are well muscled/toned from weight training and the pharmacist who administered it told me that my arm would be very sore because of it. That was a new one for me!  He also suggested that I massage the arm to help alleviate any soreness. That seemed to work pretty well, but I still felt kind of yucky for about 48 hours. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Nope.  None for me -- flu or otherwise.  Worse thing you could do is get both at the same time. 

Nope.  The worst thing you could do is get the flu or pneumonia -- whether separately or both at the same time.

Honored Contributor

I haven't gotten the flu shot since I was a kid.  Never had the flu.  But, curious about the pneumonia shot.  Is it one and done?  I think it is not recommended until 65, right?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess ~

My Husband had major surgery in his mid 50's.  The surgeon said he needed not only the Flu vaccine, but also the Pneumonia vaccine.  He also said it was important that I got one too, to help protect him.  We were told to get the Pneumonia one again at 65.  So, as @Drythe  stated earlier in this thread, there are other reasons to get this vaccine (or the now stronger one) earlier than 65.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

Since I've made it this far without the flu shot or the flu I'm not starting now. I'll consider the pneumonia vaccine when I hit 65 if I make it that far.  I seem to have a pretty robust immune system. Two years ago I spent an entire week in close quarters with a lady who, it turned out, had the flu; we found out our last day.  It was the year it was so bad, and neither me nor my husband caught it from her.