Valued Contributor

Re: I got a call back from mammogram

I got a call back about 10 years ago right after my father passed away.  I tend to be very nervous about health issues (that's putting it VERY mildly) and the receptionist took pity on me and got me an appointment in a day or 2.  Thank God everything was fine and I haven't had any issues since but I found a wonderful breast center that performs your mammogram and then you go into a private waiting room while the dr. looks over your pictures and makes sure that he doesn't need additional angles, etc.  Then he goes over them and comes and tells you whether all is good....right there and then.  You get a paper checking off a general result and that's it.  I find this works very well for me because I just would drive myself nuts waiting for results. I'm very thankful this kind of facility is available near where I live.

Honored Contributor

I have had this happen also. I know it is disturbing ,but, it doesn't mean you have cancer

They are just being careful

If the worst should happen, and they do locate  cancer ,it is in the early stages and very treatable.

There are many former  breast cancer survivors ,alive and kicking, many years later

The odds really are in your favor

Honored Contributor

How can I stay calm while waiting?

Waiting for appointments and the results of tests can be frightening. Many women experience strong emotions including disbelief, anxiety, fear, anger, and sadness during this time. Some things to remember:

• It’s normal to have these feelings.
  • Most breast changes are not cancer and are not life-threatening.
  • Talking with a loved one or a counselor about your feelings may help.
  • Talking with other women who have been through a breast biopsy may help.
  • The American Cancer Society is available at 1-800-227-2345 around the clock to answer your questions and provide support.
Honored Contributor

@lavendar - I sincerely thank you for your courageous post. I have let my personal healthcare regime go to pieces with the stresses and intensity of the last three years.

Thanks to your post, I will be calling to get a prescription for my OVERDUE mammogram tomorrow morning.

WOMEN SUPPPORTING WOMEN. Praying in a Circleof caring for you and everyone dealing with health challenges AND ANXIETY about them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lavendar---good grief--my 36 year old daughter just went thru the call back on her very first mammo----I was dx at 59 years old with breast cancer so she needed a baseline because of that. However---not even a week from her first mammo she got called to come in again and was able to get an appt for the next day; somone canceled. She was a wreck as they took many more pics; then she had to have an ultrasound--had a full blown panic attack--what a mess--HOWEVER=------- the areas they were focused on , were NOTHING----- and they want her back at age 40, because I was post menopausal when dx. That---is a good thing for her. She has very dense, lumpy breasts naturally, as I did, hard to get good, clear pics sometimes. I had gone back so many times in the past for the very same reasons for the same type of work up. I got breast cancer because I was on hormones for menopause symptoms., my onc dr figures. So my point is---don't panic!!! Hard, I know.  I agree that if there was something really dire, you would be in alot sooner. Also call back and ask to be called if someone cancels. And stress is a nasty b*i*tch !!! It can do horrible things to your brain. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. Go to the wellness/ cancer board here---lots of great people there--we can talk you down when you panic,!!

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  Sending strength for you to get through the days ahead. Hope you read my post (above) about the biopsy and how painfree it was last week. I will have my results on Wednesday. Please try not to worry; life is too short to spend your time in fear.

I only told my son and was immediately sorry I had done so. He was devestated and remembered my many previous surgeries (lumpectomies) which resulted in our move back to Lincoln to be near our family, friends and excellent medical facilities 40+ years ago.

Early detection has, I'm confident, saved my life. These were the only ones I did not find myself. A complete surprise at 71. I don't worry or tell friends. My life has not changed at all. Whatever happens will be dealt with at the time in a pragmatic manner. I will have a second opinion and surgery immediately, if necessary, without hesitation or worry. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Thank you for all your replies. I hate to upset anyone who thinks they'll get a quicker call back appointment if something is really serious: nada. I asked the woman who makes the call back appointments. Women calling for a second or third opimnium who have cancer do not get in sooner. I think she knows me by now and said just call any a.m. She said she's been working there twenty five years and the only time a woman was given a sooner appt was a young woman who got call backed two weeks before her wedding.

Something I haven't mentioned. I have been dealing with chronic illness since I've been twenty. The week before I got great news that my Crohn's is in total remission. I was so happy that I could relax a little. I'm already getting two infusions (not chemo) monthly. I have no fears about a biopsy. I've had many in more sensitive areas.

I am angry. It seems like my whole life is wrapped going to appointments. Anger is a more constructive emotion than anxiety.

Then again thank you all who answered this thread. My doc did say there's a very low bar for callbacks. For those waiting for results I truly hope all will be well.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar  there is a number to call for the cancer society. If you feel panicky, call them

A human voice  might give you a bit of comfort, and reassure you better, than just a posting  Good luck

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's not unusual to get a call back on a mammogram and most times everything is OK.  Medicare is a federal program and they do pay for diagnostic mammos.  I get one every year since having breast cancer.  I'm not going to tell you not to worry because been there, done that and you will worry until you get a result, hopefully it will be negative.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady   Thank you for your kind post.  I wonder if I should have told more people, but I can't without almost breaking down, so I'm keeping this to myself as long as I can and hopefully when I get the results, I can tell them it was nothing.  I will try to remain hopeful.  I too am of the mindset that whatever surgery is needed, go for it as soon as possible.  I have never been afraid of surgery, I was kind of hoping the doctor wouldn't even bother with a biopsy and just cut whatever they are out and I could move on with my life.

And sending prayers that your results on Wednesday will be great news. 

......You look like I need a drink.....