Honored Contributor

Re: I get my new knee tomorrow..

Best of luck. This will make a huge difference for you

Super Contributor

I wish you the best. I have had both knees replaced at different times. As I have advised others, please, please, please make sure you do the therapy when they are there to support you and on the days they are not. It is really easy to blow it off, but you can't. Moving the joint around helps prevent the buildup of scar tissue. Additionally, take the meds as prescribed religiously whether you think you need them or not. It is all about managing pain. Don't try to tough it out because ultimately you will have it. The point of the meds is to manage the pain. Finally I will say that once your wound is completely closed and healed, i strongly urge you to work the scar. Gently pulling your skin in all directions. I used Mederma Gel (i preferred it to the cream). As you work it into the surrounding area and over the completely closed wound, you will see bits of dead skin come off. Again the goal is to have a smooth scar that is not raised on the skin. I can barely see mine. 

These surgeries were difficult decisions, but truly the best things i did for myself. I have found that one must maintain throughout the years , the flexibility in the thigh muscle in front and the hamstrings in back of the thigh. Wishing you all good things with the surgery and beyond. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree

Good luck! Make sure you give your rehab 110% no matter how much it hurts. No rehab- no recovery. My Dad had 3 knee replacements- 2 were total knee replacements. He was lax on the rehab because it was so painful. I think he thought after a few weeks recovery he would one day just be able to start walking with no pain. Fast forward several years & he still cannot walk without a walker & is in constant pain. People that have full recoveries seem to attribute it to he amount of rehab they do.

Respected Contributor

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Been there, done that

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree

May God watch over you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tomorrow will be one week since my knee replacement surgery and I'm feeling better today.  I can't say the experience was a walk in the park but it wasn't nearly as bad I feared.  My surgeon promised me there would be no pain and there was no pain.  I had femoral nerve block in preop and that lasted 3 days, that and the oxycodone and extra strength Tylenol and Motrin eliminated all my post op pain.  I was up walking with the walker the next morning.  PT, OT and I was discharged home on Monday.  My PT and OT have been going well here at home and I'll have home therapy for 3 o 4 weeks until I am walking with a cane and then I will have my PT at a local hospital.  Sleeping is hard because I cannot turn and position myself the way I want to but I can get through that.  It's temporary.

Honored Contributor

I am glad it's over with and was sucessful. Just think how nice it will be for you  when springtime arrives. You will be chasing those babies all over the place!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree, so glad you're doing well.  I'm just seeing this thread for the first time.  We all need to hold each other up.  God speed.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree sounds like you are doing well with your new knee.   Mark 8 weeks out on your calendar.....that is the huge turn around time....you will be amazed at how good you feel at 8 weeks. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best of luck to you tommorrow. Just think ..a week from now you will be walking and on your way home!

cathy from ma