Esteemed Contributor

Re: I feel like a stuffed pig

@Katcat1 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   When I was first introduced to steroids i felt wonderful -- no pain and felt like I could handle anything.  Scary huh?  Now I don't get that utopia feeling but I don't have any pain.  I hope you are doing well.

@Katcat1  Scary for sure! I'm not a pill person, but these made me able to go to work and function without that awful stiffness and pain. I'm over the PMR and have no more need for the Prednisone. I think my DH wouldn't mind bringing back the energy I had back then Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

oh yes,a big time weight gain and moon face.but eventually,when you taper off,your desire to eat,goes away.so does the moon face.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

I have been on Prednisone, and was/still on several other prescription meds. I have yet to be on one where I did not know why I was eating, or that made me feel like I needed to eat more.

Have heard this about a lot of meds, some I have taken for long periods of time.

I stick with my same dietary formula:

Calories In/Calories Out. Never had the issue you describe.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Make a negative (your meds) a positive! Now is the time to put your tennis shoes on and get outside and walk! Counteract those hunger pains by getting some exercise. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 

Yes, that's a common reaction to prednisone.  I had a horrible rash all over my body that didn't respond to smaller doses of prednisone, so they had to keep raising the dose to finally get rid of it.  After a week or so I was very energetic and hungry all of the time.  Then after you taper off, things in your body take a while to get back to normal.

Hang in there! 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I got put on steroids for three days about a year ago.  I knew it could cause some weight gain but I thought with my daily bike riding for exercising it would not be so bad.  5 pounds is what I gained but due to the biking my upper thighs looked like and NFL linebackers.  It took me about three weeks to get the weight off and "my" legs back.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

You have my sympathy and understanding. I've been on steriods for quite a while (I'm immune-suppresed) and they've pack on at least 20-30 lbs. and I can't get the extra weight off.

It's such an awful feeling plus I have to consider every single bite I put in my mouth. My clothes are too snug for comfort and I hate having to buy clothes in larger sizes than I'm used to. And it's permanent too; my immune system will never get back to normal.

I feel your pain.

Respected Contributor

@SharonZ wrote:

The increased appetite is very common, but I also suffer from insomnia when on steroids.

yes, that's another uncomrtable side-effect. Sleep and the right food are two big deals in my life, and they don't go away.