Honored Contributor

Re: I don't know if I am losing it

[ Edited ]

I can't say about people who are hard of hearing but I know my Dad was deaf after being in an explosion in WW11. He told us he could hear sounds when the wind blew that sounded like the music they play during spooky movies.It didn't frighten him because he had been told to expect it to happen.He could also hear echo like voices but couldn't distinguish the words. If he tapped his head right behind his one ear it would feel like it was bouncing around in his head.The doctors told him it was because the nerves weren't 100% gone, so if stimulated they made these strange sound effects.He would make a joke about no one but him knowing what all was in his head.

I think the OP needs a whole lot more than a hearing test. She needs to be evaluated by an ENT doctor, and a psychiatrist as no one knows if the sounds are real due to disease process in the ears or imagined due to psych issues.They are clearly internal not external, as her son has come many times and there was no sound.

Honored Contributor

Do you think it could be tinnitus? 

Honored Contributor

You should get a mental exam by a doctor, you keep hearing noises ,no one else hears.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I just don't understand why someone frightened by hearing noises would come to an on line shopping forum for advice and/or help.  It seems like a completely irrational means of solving a problem.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1

Please see your doctor. I don't know your age but as we age we have changes in our brain that can cause this.

Have some tests done to find out what the cause & if there is a medication that may help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you drive,if so go to a walkin clinic, just go,if not call a cab,if your son does not want to take you today, or perhaps you should not tell your son.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@halfpint1   Other than your son coming over and saying he doesn't hear noises, is he offering any concern or advice about your health?  If he isn't saying anything to you, I'm sure he is very concerned and that is why he won't come over and investigate.  Also consider that he has his own life to live and can't drop everything to attend to your needs.  You really need to speak to a Psychologist.  That may seem scary at first, however, through experience I know it is helpful.  

I have a 78 MIL who is a widow and lives by herself in an extremly large home.  We worry about her all the time but also express our concern about her living situation to her directly.  As the adult child it is difficult when the Elderly parent won't listen or accept advice.  You obviously don't want to accept the advice of those anomous people you reach out to either.

In reading your posts I have a lot of concern for you and your loved ones who are worried about you.  

Honored Contributor

You need to listen to your doctor who recommended a psychiatrist consult to address your anxiety and see if that reduces the noises you hear. I really believe it is connected with your stress and anxiety over living alone. My understanding is that you only hear the noises when you are home. Adjusting to living alone as a widow would be stressful for anyone. Please listen to your doctor and seek assistance. You don’t know unless you try.
Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I just don't understand why someone frightened by hearing noises would come to an on line shopping forum for advice and/or help.  It seems like a completely irrational means of solving a problem.

It's a complex situation, more than meets the eye

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have anyone to talk to that is why I ask for different opinions. If anyone has this problem. If this is really white noise it is horrible. My 2 cats are also here. He does mention a home-forget it. I am not that bad off --just the noise. California here an governme nt pays for most. I really appreciate your concern. I try to not do anything rash.