Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don’t care anymore

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

This isn't a comment about the OP, but when given a booklet on preparing for the death of a family member, it said they would not have interest in earthly things and would start pulling away from us.

I would not say I am pulling away from my loved ones . . . If anything, they mean more to me than ever.  But yes, possessions like jewelry mean nothing to me.  I tell my daughter, keep it if you like it.  If not give it away or sell it if it has value.

This sounds very healthy to me...Wish I had your family to help me do the same!

Honored Contributor

Re: I don’t care anymore

[ Edited ]

I spent years holding on to things I just knew my daughters would want when they grew up....my wedding gown, my mother’s Limoges china, some small fine antique furniture pieces. They all said no to all of it....I think they are all part of the generation that looks at everything as disposable....no attachment to things other than their iPhones, perhaps.

i am more determined than ever to purge now...I am realistic enough now to know when I am gone, they will just call a truck to take it all....

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I believe as you wrote, that everyone we meet, even in the smallest way, has an effect on us.  There is sometimes a physiological component that just one experience changes you in a certain way.  You might not even recognize it at the time.  We have always known that going through life changes us psychologically, but physiologically is a somewhat new concept.

I feel a change takes place in my perception of myself every time I am taken in my wheelchair into a new doctor’s office, who looks at me and starts talking to my daughter.

I feel I have to educate that doctor that I have not lost my mental capacities because I’m old and in a wheelchair.  Not yet anyway.  He/she can talk to me.  My daughter will take notes.

Oh, @LilacTree that happened to me when my mother broke her hip and I took her on her appointments.  People would tell me what was going on and what my mom needed to do, and I had to keep saying tell her, she is right here.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I believe as you wrote, that everyone we meet, even in the smallest way, has an effect on us.  There is sometimes a physiological component that just one experience changes you in a certain way.  You might not even recognize it at the time.  We have always known that going through life changes us psychologically, but physiologically is a somewhat new concept.

I feel a change takes place in my perception of myself every time I am taken in my wheelchair into a new doctor’s office, who looks at me and starts talking to my daughter.

I feel I have to educate that doctor that I have not lost my mental capacities because I’m old and in a wheelchair.  Not yet anyway.  He/she can talk to me.  My daughter will take notes.

(Sigh.)   @LilacTree,   In younger days, we had to say, “my eyes are up here,” to raise the attention from our...  (ahem) physical assets... to our countenance and intelligence. 😉   I suppose it changes to needing to raise the attention from the visible age cues up to our countenance and intelligence.   “My eyes are, and I am, right here.   You can talk with me.”

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hello my friend @LilacTree ,

I can relate to what you have said here when if comes go "things". When I was in the hospital when our basement/master bathroom/Master bedroom, and our entry way hallway were flooded, not with water, but sewage?

A whole lot of "things" were ruined, or partially ruined and some could have been kept. This was when I was physically the weakest I had been, and long after many of my prior life/death issues. Was so weak getting from room to room was harder for me than my running the two 26 mile marathons I had ran.

I was little to no help to my wife or anyone on the company cleanup crew. I was asked probably hundreds of times "do you want to keep this" and my response was almost the exact words it this threads title: "I don't care"! 

To me it means or meant nothing in relation to my living my life, then or now in the present. I too have moved several times, each time wondering if I should KEEP this or KEEP that. These moves were years before any of my serious health issues, and being much younger, I gave it much more thought.

Yes, back then it was very hard to part with some things, even with our last move being from a 1000sq.ft. townhome to our present 3500sq.ft True Ranch. It wasn't because of lack of space, but more about how much I needed to keep of my past achievements, or just things I THOUGHT I just might use again.

Your title really concerned me until I read and understood what you were/are talking about. I know your health situation from the past and most of the present because I do read all of your posts on this forum. I just wish I always had something positive to encourage you, but yes, "me lost for words"? 

I can only say you are always in my thoughts and I just wish there were something more I could do to make your life better, but this forum, unfortunately is the best I know of that I can do.

Always know that I have not forgotten you and hoping for the very best for you and all of those in your family.

Sincerely your good friend,

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

With all that is going on in your life, it sounds as if you are suffering from depression.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I understand!  For me, the older I get, the less complicated I want things.  I used to always want to have more "stuff".  I guess I equated more "stuff" with more success!  It's not the amount of "stuff" a person has that makes a success or gives you happiness.  I was always looking for happiness and peace within myself and just couldn't seem to figure it out.  I think that the saying --- with age comes wisdom --- really is true.  It takes some of us a long time to figure it out and others not so long.  I am a slow learner, I guess!  LOL!  

My brain feels less cluttered when I have less clutter around me!  I think ridding out and donating things or tossing things that are not so useful is a very good thing.  A positive thing.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I understand!  For me, the older I get, the less complicated I want things.  I used to always want to have more "stuff".  I guess I equated more "stuff" with more success!  It's not the amount of "stuff" a person has that makes a success or gives you happiness.  I was always looking for happiness and peace within myself and just couldn't seem to figure it out.  I think that the saying --- with age comes wisdom --- really is true.  It takes some of us a long time to figure it out and others not so long.  I am a slow learner, I guess!  LOL!  

My brain feels less cluttered when I have less clutter around me!  I think ridding out and donating things or tossing things that are not so useful is a very good thing.  A positive thing.  

I'm setting here reading all these and saying, "yes, yes, yes, yes".  A lot of good and spot on replys.  

@LilacTree Someone needs to kick your doctor in the shins!  You need to say to him, "doctor, may we talk?"  Lay it on in a real tone he'll understand.  Woman Very Happy

Contributor

PART OF getting older turning 70 and been going through that for 2 yrs finally feeling good but am definatly not the same person i was very carefree and light

Honored Contributor

@linda 2 wrote:

PART OF getting older turning 70 and been going through that for 2 yrs finally feeling good but am definatly not the same person i was very carefree and light

@linda 2 

when I turned 70, I was still able to drive, I had been diagnosed four years prior, and though rheumatoid progressed quickly, I always thought I had it longer than that because strange things used to happen to me, e.g., swellings that would come and go, odd rashes . . .but I never thought anything of it.

My 80th birthday changed everything.  I had already stopped driving years before and my hands were disfigured and the fatigue started.  After I broke my hip and arm and had surgery, everything went down from there.  I went into an eight month flare, lost 20 lbs., and aged ten years in one year.

Hopefully none of that will happen to you!  Hopefully, you will not fall, for one thing.  Enjoy feeling well for as long as you can.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986