Valued Contributor

Re: I do wish you would stop selling quack diet aids

On 9/29/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/29/2014 brandiwine said:

One of the worst isn't on any shopping channel. Good old Dr Oz. Glad the government is finally putting pressure on him. There are so many people who watch TV and are drawn in to his "suggestions". Can't begin to imagine how much money he's been making by recommending these weight loss and beauty tips that are just garbage.

I have noticed a change in DR. OZ's programing this new season.... he is not pushing the miracle diet pills day in and day out like he was the last couple of years... he is much more serious and addressing important new health issues that directly affect our lives. It is a pleasant change. I think he decided to stop with the weight loss gimmicks he was pushing for the good ratings,and now is doing what he should have all along. Giving good advise.

He had no choice - didn't you see him called before Congress and grilled about hawking these quick loss products? He got raked over the coals - and he had no choice but to change -

Valued Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Magenta said:

Hi Vivian,

I haven't been on the forums and just opened this one by chance, as I saw your name. How have you been? How is your grand baby?

I had my knee replacement, which went fabulously, but had a health situation this summer, having been prescribed cogentin and not being warned about the main side effect, it is a halicunatory drug, and boy did I suffer. I lost mainly my language abilities, looking for words and not being able to finish my sentences, so I was temporarily dismissed as I was very confused and didn't know where I was.

Finally it took 2 months, and am finally back to normal, whatever that is in my case, but I have on probation just done my first 15 hr cruise ship tour in German, no less and it went very smoothly and had very satisfied clients.

My psychiater treated me for depression and have been so stabile that I asked if we could try to reduce the meds. but instead of that, since my hands are shaking some, immediately told me that the cogentin is for me, and that he has great success with others. The Neurologist at G.W. Hospital was no help, but do now know it was not parkinson's or alzheimers, so w/o recommendations how to get better I started reading out loud, in the various languages, then started to do also out loud, my tours, here in town, from the beginning to the end, and slowly felt I should try a real tour again. Needless to say, i am not with the psych. any longer, as he knew well, this was not a risk I should or would have taken had i known. It flopped my career badly and so too, with my colleagues. My dreams were awful, thinking my sister and later her daughter were in my apt. where both are on the west coast, and felt so abandoned. Not fun, I can guarantee you, but here in town, most psychiaters are private and obviously I can't afford $250/session. So lots of challenges yet, but I feel now that I am - after 2 months - back to normal, whatever that is in my case. So moral of the story is always check your medicine, in addition to your doctor..... It was big time awful.

Now I am going to the Viewpoints and will look back here as well... hoping you and the family are well. And yes, I agree with your reply to the very issue.

Fondly,

Liesbeth

I'm sorry, but I have to ask why you posted this here? In response to the selling of quick weight loss products?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Liesbeth. It's great to hear from you. I'll meet you over at Viewpoints.
Super Contributor

On 9/26/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 9/26/2014 spindlegirl said:

They allow quacks to practice medicine as armchair doctor posters here on the boards so I guess they don't care about customer health. Buyers Beware and Posters Beware!

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Amen to that, spindlegirl.

ITA. I cringe when I see some of the threads, I try to ignore them and move on. Sometimes I show some of my colleagues and they cringe too. Wikipedia is great and awful all at once.

Trusted Contributor

I remember "Lite Bites" and "Bee-Alive Royal Jelly" .There was a lawsuit over those. They had to pay out 6 million dollars to customers.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Esteemed Contributor

If people stopped buying them, then QVC would stop selling them.

Unfortunately, people look for that Magic Bullet instead of relying on the tried and true eat less, move more.

ETA: QVC isn't to blame. They are making money based on demand.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 coco14 said:

Hi Vivian,

I haven't been on the forums and just opened this one by chance, as I saw your name. How have you been? How is your grand baby?

I had my knee replacement, which went fabulously, but had a health situation this summer, having been prescribed cogentin and not being warned about the main side effect, it is a halicunatory drug, and boy did I suffer. I lost mainly my language abilities, looking for words and not being able to finish my sentences, so I was temporarily dismissed as I was very confused and didn't know where I was.

Finally it took 2 months, and am finally back to normal, whatever that is in my case, but I have on probation just done my first 15 hr cruise ship tour in German, no less and it went very smoothly and had very satisfied clients.

My psychiater treated me for depression and have been so stabile that I asked if we could try to reduce the meds. but instead of that, since my hands are shaking some, immediately told me that the cogentin is for me, and that he has great success with others. The Neurologist at G.W. Hospital was no help, but do now know it was not parkinson's or alzheimers, so w/o recommendations how to get better I started reading out loud, in the various languages, then started to do also out loud, my tours, here in town, from the beginning to the end, and slowly felt I should try a real tour again. Needless to say, i am not with the psych. any longer, as he knew well, this was not a risk I should or would have taken had i known. It flopped my career badly and so too, with my colleagues. My dreams were awful, thinking my sister and later her daughter were in my apt. where both are on the west coast, and felt so abandoned. Not fun, I can guarantee you, but here in town, most psychiaters are private and obviously I can't afford $250/session. So lots of challenges yet, but I feel now that I am - after 2 months - back to normal, whatever that is in my case. So moral of the story is always check your medicine, in addition to your doctor..... It was big time awful.

Now I am going to the Viewpoints and will look back here as well... hoping you and the family are well. And yes, I agree with your reply to the very issue.

Fondly,

Liesbeth

I'm sorry, but I have to ask why you posted this here? In response to the selling of quick weight loss products?

Why would you POSSIBLY care where she posted ? Have you thought of maybe expanding your world and mind ? Then maybe this kind of nonsense would not be important to you.
Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Divine said:

I remember "Lite Bites" and "Bee-Alive Royal Jelly" .There was a lawsuit over those. They had to pay out 6 million dollars to customers.

DIVINE....do you have any more info on the Bee Alive lawsuit ? I met the owner(s) at various social functions some years ago (when she selling on QVC ) and I must admit I am kind of curious. Didn't find her to be my personal cup of tea but did use the product for awhile until I found it cheaper at other places (like Puritan)
Valued Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Danky said:
On 9/30/2014 coco14 said:

Hi Vivian,

Fondly,

Liesbeth

Why would you POSSIBLY care where she posted ? Have you thought of maybe expanding your world and mind ? Then maybe this kind of nonsense would not be important to you.

because it is not the place to post this in response to selling weight loss products. see an earlier OP objecting to personal stories on air - well, this is much too personal to be posted on this particular forum - it should be on one that she originated - I hope you can "see" the difference.

Respected Contributor

No,COCO, I don't see the difference.....it may be your opinion ( and maybe my opinion, too ) but it is neither your call nor your business. FOR ME, it may be too personal to post anywhere but I am not the arbiter of content or placement.That is the point that I am trying to make.... Many people who post are super sensitive. Sometimes, just by virtue of the topic it may be difficult not to unintentionally hurt someone's feelings. I saw this as an unnecessary jab and ,if it were directed at me, a waste of time to boot...I would post anywhere that I wanted to. Now that we have gone completely OT I will move on and wish you well.