Valued Contributor

Re: I do wish you would stop selling quack diet aids

On 9/29/2014 violann said: Small disclaimer, according to my very highly qualified internist. At least SOME of the products currently being sold through qvc actually ARE healthy products, but don't necessarily assist everyone with weight loss. No magic, no quick fix, but some ARE nutritionally sound. And also remember that recent research has revealed that what seems "obvious" in weight loss really doesn't work for everyone. I spent DECADES looking for a plan that would work for me, and found it. You have to do your own work (research, trial&error) to find what will be a successful lifestyle change FOR YOU!
what was it that worked for you?
Respected Contributor

One of the worst isn't on any shopping channel. Good old Dr Oz. Glad the government is finally putting pressure on him. There are so many people who watch TV and are drawn in to his ""suggestions"". Can't begin to imagine how much money he's been making by recommending these weight loss and beauty tips that are just garbage.

Super Contributor

On 9/29/2014 brandiwine said:

One of the worst isn't on any shopping channel. Good old Dr Oz. Glad the government is finally putting pressure on him. There are so many people who watch TV and are drawn in to his "suggestions". Can't begin to imagine how much money he's been making by recommending these weight loss and beauty tips that are just garbage.

I have noticed a change in DR. OZ's programing this new season.... he is not pushing the miracle diet pills day in and day out like he was the last couple of years... he is much more serious and addressing important new health issues that directly affect our lives. It is a pleasant change. I think he decided to stop with the weight loss gimmicks he was pushing for the good ratings,and now is doing what he should have all along. Giving good advise.

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 Alsee said: As long as people keep buying this stuff, they'll keep selling it.

Yup, that's the formula.

People just need to do their own research - or throw away their money. I guess it's their choice.

Honored Contributor

Persephonel, I read and heard for DECADES that certain unnecessary foods could and likely would cause increased food cravings in people who were sensitive to them. When I could no longer deny that the extra person I was wearing WAS causing me health problems, I stopped eating added salt, added sugar, all white foods except cauliflower and all dairy except two Tbs of coffee cream per day. I eat veggies, low carb fruit, eggs/egg whites, and nuts. Very rarely throw in a legume or two. No grain. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING WHAT I DO, but I DO recommend doing careful research for yourself on what aspects of your life help you and which ones hinder.
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/29/2014 brandiwine said:

One of the worst isn't on any shopping channel. Good old Dr Oz. Glad the government is finally putting pressure on him. There are so many people who watch TV and are drawn in to his "suggestions". Can't begin to imagine how much money he's been making by recommending these weight loss and beauty tips that are just garbage.

I have noticed a change in DR. OZ's programing this new season.... he is not pushing the miracle diet pills day in and day out like he was the last couple of years... he is much more serious and addressing important new health issues that directly affect our lives. It is a pleasant change. I think he decided to stop with the weight loss gimmicks he was pushing for the good ratings,and now is doing what he should have all along. Giving good advise.

I guess getting grilled by Congress gives a person and tv production company a reason to re-evaluate what they say on air. I would never trust anyone who has presented himself the way he has. I expect more of a physician. Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

As long as people look for magical solutions, hucksters will offer magical solutions...which don't work. Anyone who doesn't know that eating less and exercising more is the key to weight loss is living under a rock. QVC is making money off of wishful thinking.
Respected Contributor

I think that about a lot of beauty products as well. *rant deleted for your viewing pleasure* lol

Super Contributor

Hi Vivian,

I haven't been on the forums and just opened this one by chance, as I saw your name. How have you been? How is your grand baby?

I had my knee replacement, which went fabulously, but had a health situation this summer, having been prescribed cogentin and not being warned about the main side effect, it is a halicunatory drug, and boy did I suffer. I lost mainly my language abilities, looking for words and not being able to finish my sentences, so I was temporarily dismissed as I was very confused and didn't know where I was.

Finally it took 2 months, and am finally back to normal, whatever that is in my case, but I have on probation just done my first 15 hr cruise ship tour in German, no less and it went very smoothly and had very satisfied clients.

My psychiater treated me for depression and have been so stabile that I asked if we could try to reduce the meds. but instead of that, since my hands are shaking some, immediately told me that the cogentin is for me, and that he has great success with others. The Neurologist at G.W. Hospital was no help, but do now know it was not parkinson's or alzheimers, so w/o recommendations how to get better I started reading out loud, in the various languages, then started to do also out loud, my tours, here in town, from the beginning to the end, and slowly felt I should try a real tour again. Needless to say, i am not with the psych. any longer, as he knew well, this was not a risk I should or would have taken had i known. It flopped my career badly and so too, with my colleagues. My dreams were awful, thinking my sister and later her daughter were in my apt. where both are on the west coast, and felt so abandoned. Not fun, I can guarantee you, but here in town, most psychiaters are private and obviously I can't afford $250/session. So lots of challenges yet, but I feel now that I am - after 2 months - back to normal, whatever that is in my case. So moral of the story is always check your medicine, in addition to your doctor..... It was big time awful.

Now I am going to the Viewpoints and will look back here as well... hoping you and the family are well. And yes, I agree with your reply to the very issue.

Fondly,

Liesbeth

Honored Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Vivian said: As long as people look for magical solutions, hucksters will offer magical solutions...which don't work. Anyone who doesn't know that eating less and exercising more is the key to weight loss is living under a rock. QVC is making money off of wishful thinking.
Hi Vivian! Speaking very respectfully, current research actually reveals that WHAT you are eating may be more important than how much. I eat a ton of veggies, low carb fruit and protein, and it works great for me.