Esteemed Contributor

I did something very foolish...again.

Last Sunday I got ambitious and decided to mop the kitchen floor. That was not the foolish part. That was my impatience. I wanted to hang up the mop and did not wait for the floor to dry. So, in my slippery leather soled loafers, I started to walk across the soaking wet floor. I went flying, landing on my knee and hip. I did the same thing last year. This time, however, I did more damage. I am all bruised and sore but the scary part is the knee cap has a strong burning sensation when anything touches it. I am seeing my doctor on Monday. I can walk and the hip is healing but the knee is a black and blue, very sore, mess. I know I must have a bone bruise but I worry I did something worse. I was SO foolish. Has anyone experienced this burning bruised knee?
Honored Contributor

Re: I did something very foolish...again.

First thing to do with this type of injury is ICE/ICE and more ICE. If you are able to, take an anti-inflammatory also. The sooner one gets ICE on an injury the better. It keeps the injury from quickly moving and involving more tissue. The more tissue involved the longer to heal, to say nothing of having pain in a much bigger area.

If a bone is broken or it is another serious type of injury that requires surgery, a doctor generally waits until the swelling goes down. If it is a bone bruise the can take a long time before all the pain is diminished.

Hope this is nothing too serious but better to err on the side of caution and it was wise of you to make an appointment with your doctor.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, John. Yes, I iced it and continue to do so. Unfortunately, I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs but I had some non narcotic pain pills left from a previous injury, so I took a couple of those. Touching that knee feels like putting a lit torch to my skin. That's what's scaring me. I usually work out at the Y every day but I have had to stay away until the pain subsides. I could kick myself for being so foolish. If only I had waited for the floor to dry or, as my husband said, why mop the floor to begin with?
Trusted Contributor

Monday seems like a long time to wait for something so painful. If you can't get your doctor to see you earlier, perhaps you should go to an urgent care.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I would have gone to the ER after a fall like that. Are you very young? I hope you didn't injure your hip.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I agree that waiting until Monday seems like a long time to wait with an injury like that.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't going to going to see the doctor at all. I got up immediately after the fall, with no problems. It wasn't until the next day that I realized I had done a number on myself. I'm in good physical shape, working out every day, but at 67 I'm no youngster. My GP is unavailable and our local ER is the pits. I have an excellent sports medicine doc who won't be able to see mee until Monday. If it worsens I won't wait but if it remains as it is now I can wait until Monday. I just want to confirm it's a bone bruise. If that's the case, I've been doing all I can anyway...rest, ice, elevation,meds. Since I have no trouble walking, and the hip feels better already, I'd rather wait to see a decent doctor on Monday to check that flaming knee than see a bad doc now. More than anything else, I'm just angry at myself for doing such a foolish thing. I'll let you know what the verdict is on Monday.
Trusted Contributor

I know what you mean about being upset with yourself. I was walking around barefoot (something I normally don't do) I was in a hurry and ran my foot into the door. I wasn't looking. I broke my foot in 2 places. I had to hobble on it over the weekend until I could see the doctor.

I had to wear a boot for 3 months. Luckily the worst is now behind me.

It is a good sign that you were able to get right up. If your knee was broken or severely injured, I think you would have not been able to bend it to get up and walk around.

If you feel you can wait, just keep icing like everyone says. When it's swollen, it will hurt more.

Rest a lot too. Don't walk around too much. Also raise your leg up on a pillow when you're in bed or in a chair to help with circulation.

I wish you well and hope it is a minor and easily treatable injury. Don't keep blaming yourself, accidents happen.

Super Contributor

Oh my gosh!! I Sure hope it's just a bad bruise and your out of discomfort quickly!

Respected Contributor

Yep, I went flying that way myself, mopping in bare feet. Cracked a rib. Your warning is well taken. I hope you feel better soon.