Honored Contributor

I did a small gasp at this response on the phone yesterday.

I called for an appointment yesterday, for my chiropractor.  In trying to find a time, the gal on the phone said, "oh that time (that I mentioned) is a new patient", so we decided on another time.  I first thought, what about someone who has gone to you for a few years now? But I know a new person is probably in more pain than me, so that's ok.  But, I just didn't think that was a good response from her to me. But no big deal, nothing to fuss about, it just struck me as an odd response and she probably had no idea how that sounded to me.  

Someday, she may be this old, and the same may happen to her.

Super Contributor

Re: I did a small gasp at this response on the phone yesterday.

I've noticed that cs almost everwhere needs a lesson on phone etquite. 

When my dentist office called me to cancel my appt she said to me, call back when this virus is all over.Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

I think its because Drs usually alot more time for a new patients, so they have diffrent time slots and appointments blocked out for new patients,  This is typical in all practices for new patients, its standard.  

Honored Contributor

One of my brothers is a chiropractor.  New patients require more time since background info, medical history, insurance, etc have to be gathered and documented.  Every kind of doctor has different time periods for new vs ongoing patients.  

I'll bet she just wasn't very professional in her response to you but didn't mean anything bad by it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  so what's to gasp about? A new patient called before you did to reserve that time.

Honored Contributor

I understand her response.  As others have said, new patients usually require more time.  I'm sure no harm was intended.  I'll bet they still value you!

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the phrase " Oh that time is a new patient." Did she mean that time slot is reserved for new patients or a new patient has already been given that time slot. Either way I don't see anything unprofessional or rude. Why would that statement make anyone gasp?  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Sounds like a friendly office to me -   the receptionist could have said "That time is not available"   She didn't have to tell you why, but revealing the why didn't hurt anyone.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  Too many offices do not train their receptionists on how to correctly answer and handle phone calls.  This was something that was automatically taught in business classes in high school years ago.  Now, it is up to the employers, and many have no idea and maybe are not too interested.  If you need a doctor, you wait, because it is not that easy to find another right away.

The caller should be told the times that are available, but no one, in any way, should mention anything about other clients/patients.  Same thing with being put on hold.  People can be left hanging for much too long, when the receptionist should at least return to the caller within every 30 seconds.  Yes, it is old school, but it is the right way to do these things.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

It could have worded better but what is the problem?  

So he has new patients who phone further ahead for their appointments.

You could preset yours or call earlier too.