Esteemed Contributor

I called my Dr. office 2x, no call back.

My home health/PT woman came today.  My discharge papers say not to bend my right leg.

She said "how do I do PT on you and not bend your leg/knee?  Did they do something different during surgery?"  If they did, no one told me.  Someone else from hospital came in the next morning after surgery and did a brief PT session and she had me bend my leg.  However, I was told to keep my leg straight when rising or sitting.  No easy task.

I called Dr. office while she was here at 11:30 am left message. Office goes to lunch from noon to 2.  Called at 2:10 pm, left another message.  No one called me back.  Called woman from home health and told her.  She was going to call also. She would have called me if they had called her. Nothing.

I am not a happy person. Won't not bending my knee cause issues the later I wait?  I don't want to assume it was an error and do it if there is a reason not too.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I called my Dr. office 2x, no call back.

I would call after hours and let the answering service page the doctor to have him call you back. I would consider this an emergency and also let him know that you called the office several times during office hours and got no reply. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Maybe the discharge papers meant (for you) not to bend the knee until such time as PT arrives.  It's just a guess.   I would call the answering service and have the doctor paged to call you back.

When I had both TKR limited bending was what they wanted.  As a matter of fact, I had a CPM machine sent home from the hospital and you put you leg in it and it would bend your knee in a smooth, slow fashion.  It actually felt good using it.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Hi - maybe google or youtube can give you some help.  Just a thought, since you can't get your doctor until Monday.  You can call him/her tomorrow and leave a message and hopefully you'll get a call back.

Good luck......

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I also say call after hours if you don't get a call and have the service page him STAT. And don't take "no" for an answer. This is crucial to your well being.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Call the office and have the service page the doctor so the doctor calls you.  This is too serious to let it go until Monday, in my opinion.  I have had colleagues go through knee replacement and it's not something to mess with.  Sorry you are dealing with this.  Wishing you the best.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2.  You're going to be quite challenged in the bathroom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My home PT person was going to get hold of the woman who did the brief session before my discharge. They both work for the hospital where I had my surgery Wed. and my hip surgery 14 months ago.

Oh, I will get an answer or the home health person will.  She is coming Monday am first thing. She gave me exercises to do that don't bend my knee and said to walk as much as I can.

Respected Contributor

You should have been given written discharge instructions from the hospital which should indicate what exercises to do for your knee and the home health nurse should also have the same info from the doctors office. That was what happened in my case.

Esteemed Contributor

The physical therapist knows what can and can't be done with your knee. I would listen to the therapist.