Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am worried about my sister

Sounds like she is dehydrated and weak.  If she can't keep food down she may be malnourished, not Alzheimers.

Super Contributor

@cherry.  . . . I think if I,were in your place I would speak with her doctor. The HIPPA laws do not prevent you from relaying your concerns about a loved one to his/her doctor. Nor do they prevent the doctor from following up on your concerns with your loved ones. What the HIPPA laws do is prevent any healthcare provider from discussing or relaying a patient's healthcare information to any person, institution,or other entity without the patient's knowledge and.permission. This knowledge and permission is most often obtained in writing.

Just call. For all you know, your sister may even have listed you as one of her people who ,any receive info on you on the HIPPA disclosure form at her doctor's office. 

I will keep you and your sister in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

Hugs . . 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Occasional Contributor

Very helpful!

Honored Contributor

She isn't constantly throwing up. She can go for days and be fine. I am going to try to talk to her, while her husband is in the hospital, and see if I can make any progress with her

I am also going to see my endo asap..thank you everyone for your help

Honored Contributor

I had another thought , my sister has been treated for depression for decades. I think i will try to get in touch with her psychiatrist, and let her know my thoughts.

Sis has a lot of ailments, she gets allergy shots , has problems with her ear and just seems to always be battling something. I want to help he,r if possible. I hope she will let me. I don't think the falling is down to her ear, but, I might be wrong. She gets wax buildups and needs to have it cleaned constantly

I walk a fine line with her ,regarding this, and she isn't the type you can take kicking and screaming anywhere, it just wouldn't work with her

She is older than I am, and still thinks I'm a kid, so what do I know?  We love one another, but , I can't force her to do what she won't

Honored Contributor

Absolutely mention it to her doctor.  They won't know if you don't tell them.  What they do with the info, is up to them to treat her.  No doubt any more falls like those, will result in more bruising that they'll see. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry  You share the same doctor so do share your concerns. 

DH and I also share the same doctor and I told our PCP some things that my DH didn't.

Now some things are escalating with his health; don't wait.

Your sister may have something minor; and if her husband is in the hosptial that can be triggering some stress reactions, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I think it's great that you are looking out for your sister.  I too have a sister and she's married but I'm single.  Each and every doctor I have has her listed as my medical and emergency POC and having the ability to discuss any of my medical issues with her.

Is it possible you can broach that subject with her.  Don't necessarily make it about what's happening now - instead make it more about preventive measures about "now that we are getting older" it'd be a good idea for her to declare an emergency POC or medical proxy.  

And others are right - your doctor can't discuss specifics but I'd also say that you realize that but here's what I, as her sister am noticing.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Tell, by phone or make a specific appointment.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I had another thought , my sister has been treated for depression for decades. I think i will try to get in touch with her psychiatrist, and let her know my thoughts.

Sis has a lot of ailments, she gets allergy shots , has problems with her ear and just seems to always be battling something. I want to help he,r if possible. I hope she will let me. I don't think the falling is down to her ear, but, I might be wrong. She gets wax buildups and needs to have it cleaned constantly

I walk a fine line with her ,regarding this, and she isn't the type you can take kicking and screaming anywhere, it just wouldn't work with her

She is older than I am, and still thinks I'm a kid, so what do I know?  We love one another, but , I can't force her to do what she won't

@cherry...go with your gut. It sounds like you are going to handle this well and will make the right decision.

You have gotten some excellent advice here and I cannot add to it except to say that I think it is important that you begin handling this in the here and now.

My best wishes that all works out.....