Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am worried about my sister

@cherry, it was a similar situation with my sister.  It was our family (one sister in particular) who had to manage that delicate issue throughout her illness.  LM

Honored Contributor

I’m sorry Cherry. You can certainly express your concerns to the doctor. Of course for privacy reasons, the doctor will not be able to say much to you. You don’t need to answer, but when you say you are concerned about Alzheimer’s you only mentioned her having balance issues and falling along with the vomiting. You did not mention any cognitive or memory changes like getting lost in familiar surroundings. If she’s vomiting a lot, her electrolytes could be off which could cause balance and even cognitive problems.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

She is 76 and I fear she might be in the early stages of alzheimers.  SHe walked into a wall last week and fell twice . One fall took her to the ER , she fell off her steps  outside, and is using a walker , she didn't break anybones, but has bad bruising

I share a Dr with her, and am wonderfing if I should tell her what I have noticed ,the next time I see her. It won't be for a couple months

I know she can't discuss my sister with me, but, I would feel better if she knew somethings,  I have recently observed about her. She sleeps a great deal, has lost quite a bit of weight

She keeps throwing up ,despite taking nexium, and I can't convince her to get an endo. Her husband is useless so I don't expect much out of him, and he is in his 80's besides , having health issues. 

Do you think it's out of order for me to mention these things to our Dr?  Our mother had Alzheimers, our father did not.

Sounds like she has inner ear problems or dizzy spells.  

Honored Contributor

At one point she was lost for words, and I did talk to my Dr,(pcp) and she told me it could be mini strokes. Her speech did get better. She had a spell when she  couldn't feel her feet when she stood up ,and she fell and hit her head in the bathroom, my Dr told me strokes will do this. She has never had a major stroke

She is on blood pressure meds, and this was a few years ago this happened.  She doesn't seem to have problems with losing things ,or getting lost. She goes to her Dr regularly.I just don't think he is helping her

Esteemed Contributor

DEFINITELY tell the doctor. It may be Alzheimer’s or something else but all that falling can be deadly if it happens again. The doctor can do what my doctor did when I told her abôut my husband. She gave him a short cognitive test as part of his yearly check-up. Results showed a problem and we saw a neurologist. He now has Alzheimer’s. If I waited for my husband to notice something wrong, I’d still be waiting.

Respected Contributor

@cherry So sorry to hear about your sister. You said she goes to the doctor ( I'm assuming her PCP) frequently. He may be aware of some of these problems even if she hasn't told him, due to her weight loss.  Sometimes patients don't tell their doctors everything but hopefully the doctors catch things on their own. I think, you should definitely call the Endo and tell her everything that you know and have observed. As others have mentioned, she can't verify anything. She can only make notes as to what you tell her and she will take it from there. Tell her that your sister may be upset if she knew you were speaking to the doctor on her behalf. I don't think you should wait for any upcoming visit. I would call her Monday and again, tell her about all of her symptoms. Don't leave any out, no matter how small you might think they are. The Endo, hopefully will follow up with her PCP and between them figure this out and how to handle the situation, if they haven't already. People can be very stubborn when it comes to their health. You are a good, caring and loving sister. Hugs to you. You can only do so much but you are helping! Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Dr. cant act on your info; this would also be a violation of HIPA.

Make an appt. for sister w/her consernt and pray she'll allow you in or have her place you on HIPPA list.

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is for you to take her to the doctor and ask your sister to allow you to go in. Share without drawing any conclusions about what condition she has. Then let the doctor take it from there. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry

If I had some fears about the safety of either of my older surviving sisters, you bet I would tell. First, the youngest of my 2 sisters has a son and a son-in-law that are both medical doctors, so I have no concern about her safety, and/or health. She also is only a 5 minute drive from our home.

My oldest sister(90) lives in a state far from where we live, and has for over 19 years now. She has a daughter and grand, and great-grandchildren, that live in the same city. None are in the medical profession, but their love for her is enough to assure me of her safety, especially since her husband of 62+ years, died of complications of Alzheimer's Disease.

I personally would speak up, even if it was the sole reason I had for making the appointment with our doctor.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally understand not wanting to overstep your boundaries and making your sister upset with you.  I had a similar situation with my sister.  Things were going on and I urged her to go to the Dr.  She wouldn't go and got very angry when the topic was brought up.  I didn't push the issue.  She eventually agreed to go to the Dr.  Long story short, she's 55 and is living in a nursing home.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have dragged her kicking and screaming to the Dr.  Fight for your sisters health.