Honored Contributor

Re: I am worried about my sister

Thank you, @Sweet_Serenity!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@cherry so sorry about your sister....it cannot hurt to mention it to the doctor and you already know that he/she cannot discuss her medical history with you, but at least you made them aware of what you are seeing.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, it is wonderful that you are so concerned about your sister.  Call the doctor now.  It may not be Alzheimer's or dementia, but it could be any number of things that can easily be treated.  The sooner the better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

YES! CALL the doctor and let the doctor know what you have observed. You could save your sister's life.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Actually, I think you need to get her to go to the doctor now rather than wait a couple months to mention it.  If you mention it to the doctor, she really cannot do much except tell you to get her to come in. Then maybe you'll have to wait to get an appointment.  The things you mentioned are concerning, maybe not Alzheimers but falling could be disastrous, losing weight not good.    If she resists going to see the doctor, point out that it's for your peace of mind because you are worrying.  Offer to go with her. of course.

I already replied that I thought you should mention it to the doctor. My original thought, though, was that two months was too long.  I agree with @Another new name Sue that you need to take her in to see the doctor now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@cherry wrote:

She is 76 and I fear she might be in the early stages of alzheimers.  SHe walked into a wall last week and fell twice . One fall took her to the ER , she fell off her steps  outside, and is using a walker , she didn't break anybones, but has bad bruising

I share a Dr with her, and am wonderfing if I should tell her what I have noticed ,the next time I see her. It won't be for a couple months

I know she can't discuss my sister with me, but, I would feel better if she knew somethings,  I have recently observed about her. She sleeps a great deal, has lost quite a bit of weight

She keeps throwing up ,despite taking nexium, and I can't convince her to get an endo. Her husband is useless so I don't expect much out of him, and he is in his 80's besides , having health issues. 

Do you think it's out of order for me to mention these things to our Dr?  Our mother had Alzheimers, our father did not.

The weight loss and vomiting is disconcerting. I would definitely mention it to your physician. I think a visit to the doctor is also in order.

Honored Contributor

We don't share a PCP we share an endocrinologist, Her PCP is treating her for stomach issues, she won't get an endoscopy.  I have tried to convince her to but it doesn't work, she can be stubborn Her Dr has given her prilosec and it didn't help her much. I suggested nexium ,and it did help a lot, but not completely..

I know the endocrinologist probably won't treat her, but, I am hoping she will talk to her ,and convince her, to talk to someone else ,about her problems, or suggest a Dr to see

I can't run her life for her. She still is independent, and doesn't have problems with decision making...I wish she would change Drs ,but ,I can't force her to

I just have a nagging feeling something is wrong. She seems frail. I don't know what else to do

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, I am sending a cyber hug to you.  I lost one of my sisters to early onset Alzheimer’s.  She was only 59.

I hope you will encourage your sister to get the ball rolling rather than wait two months.  It takes awhile and some testing to be diagnosed.  I don’t know your medical situation as I am Canadian but there can be waiting lists.  

At at the very least, the weight loss and the falls are causes for concern no matter what the diagnosis is.  I offer my prayers for you and your sister.  LM

Honored Contributor

@cherry Yes, you need to tell the doctor what you’ve observed. He may not be able to say anything but you can say plenty. Does your sister and BIL live by themselves? If he’s having health issues too he may be clueless how to help her or that something is wrong with her. 

Honored Contributor

Her husband  is diabetic and is getting surgery on his knee next week. His mind is Ok, he is just sort of  someone who thinks, you only need to see one Dr for everything and that is the Dr they have now

They are in the next town.  I know my sister likes our endocrinologist, and I am hoping she will be able to influence he,r  and send her in the right direction

If I get my sister mad at me, I will not be able to do anything at all, so I must tread carefully