Honored Contributor

Re: I am trying intermittent fasting.. kind of....

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden, how tall are you?  

@tansy  About 5'8". 

You are slender, @SeaMaiden.  I am just a little over 5'3" and want to lose 10 more pounds to reach 130.  It's slow going.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden, how tall are you?  

@tansy  About 5'8". 

You are slender, @SeaMaiden.  I am just a little over 5'3" and want to lose 10 more pounds to reach 130.  It's slow going.

@tansy   I USE TO BE slender...  Things changed after turning 65... never had a tummy, now I do... I hate it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being too thin can lead to osteporosis which was my case.  I stopped eating bread a long time ago as well as mayo and soda...also never cared for milk but I do buy a block of Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese now (their small size) and it takes about a week to consume because just taking supplements is not good enough and I have no interest in HRT, bisphonates or any other prescription med similar that supposedly builds bone and prevents a break when in reality it does not prevent bone breaks and the so called bone that it builds up is not quality bone.  I have put on weight and had to buy 1 size up....but that doesn't bother me under the circumstances.  I now weigh 112 and I'm 5'4. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been doing a form of internment fasting for years to keep my weight in check...I just didn't know if had a name. Smiley Happy

When my sons went off to college I went to two meals a day and nothing after dinner. Basically I eat at noon and between 5 or 6. And yes, sometimes I eat later if we are entertaining. Lots of upside - fewer groceries to buy, fewer dishes to wash & fewer meals to come up with. My DH has always been very supportive and If he wants a breakfast meal he makes his own when at home. He's easy--yogurt, toast & fruit is his usual go to.

IF works for me, but everyone is different. My sister did well on Keto, one dil did weight watchers to lose her baby weight & the other dil watched her calorie intake and worked out a LOT. Really, for me, IF was just a method of reducing calories by skipping a meal. I am not good at eliminating foods. If you tell me I can't have cheese, I will obsess about cheese (or bread, or sugar or alcohol, etc.).

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

I have been doing a form of internment fasting for years to keep my weight in check...I just didn't know if had a name. Smiley Happy

When my sons went off to college I went to two meals a day and nothing after dinner. Basically I eat at noon and between 5 or 6. And yes, sometimes I eat later if we are entertaining. Lots of upside - fewer groceries to buy, fewer dishes to wash & fewer meals to come up with. My DH has always been very supportive and If he wants a breakfast meal he makes his own when at home. He's easy--yogurt, toast & fruit is his usual go to.

IF works for me, but everyone is different. My sister did well on Keto, one dil did weight watchers to lose her baby weight & the other dil watched her calorie intake and worked out a LOT. Really, for me, IF was just a method of reducing calories by skipping a meal. I am not good at eliminating foods. If you tell me I can't have cheese, I will obsess about cheese (or bread, or sugar or alcohol, etc.).

@kate2357   Yes, I eat so much less food now  just eating every other day. 🙂 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Yes, I eat so much less food now  just eating every other day. 🙂 

And that is really the key for some of us ... finding a way to eat fewer calories so we can lose/keep off unwanted pounds. IF is not a magic bullet ... just a way that allows a person to consumer fewer calories. It's also a way of eating that I could continue for the rest of my life w/o feeling deprived. Basically because I don't actually deprive myself of any particular food ... I just delay when I consume it. And it's kind of weird, but after a while, you just don't eat as much (qty wise) as you would think after waiting 18 hours or so between meals.

Don't get me wrong, it's not always easy. Like today ... it's currently more than an hour away from when I eat lunch and I am watching the minutes thinking dang, when do I get to eat? Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Yes, I eat so much less food now  just eating every other day. 🙂 

And that is really the key for some of us ... finding a way to eat fewer calories so we can lose/keep off unwanted pounds. IF is not a magic bullet ... just a way that allows a person to consumer fewer calories. It's also a way of eating that I could continue for the rest of my life w/o feeling deprived. Basically because I don't actually deprive myself of any particular food ... I just delay when I consume it. And it's kind of weird, but after a while, you just don't eat as much (qty wise) as you would think after waiting 18 hours or so between meals.

Don't get me wrong, it's not always easy. Like today ... it's currently more than an hour away from when I eat lunch and I am watching the minutes thinking dang, when do I get to eat? Smiley Happy 

@kate2357   What I find interesting that doing this for three months  now, on the days I fast I now just feel like it is normal. My body has gotten use to it and I am not hungry. On my "meal " or EAT  day  I do  get hungry as my dinner time approach's and sometimes have an early dinner about 3PM.    I can tell my body wants FOOD. It has been a good way to really HEAR my  body say it is hungry VS just eating all day long,  and snacking etc.   You do not HEAR your body want food for nourishment....people get numb to really knowing the difference from feeding the body and just eating to eat out of habit, numb to listening to their body and what it wants. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

You do not HEAR your body want food for nourishment....people get numb to really knowing the difference from feeding the body and just eating to eat out of habit, numb to listening to their body and what it wants. 

I totally get this as it's how I feel too about hearing what your body needs, then feeding it what it needs. (sorry everyone else for the woo woo stuff. Smiley Happy ). My couple of examples is when I'm feeling peckish and about to have a cranky meltdown, I eat a pc of cheese and my body instantly thanks me. Seriously, I can feel it hit my bloodstream and respond. People will think I'm weird - and I am - but I do feel it. Same when my body tells me I need to have a high water content item - I will eat just one pc of watermelon and my body says thank you in an instant. Just drinking water doesn't seem to be as effective.

Okay ... enough of my weirdness. Thank you SeaMaiden for sharing your experiences. You are delightful to read on these boards.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I've been reading your interesting posts for inspiration, as I need to lose some weight.

The slight belly gain as we age is not from fat, but from the spinal column becoming shorter.  As we age, the discs between our vertebrates lose fluid, so they flatten, and the spine actually shrinks.

Osteosporosis, and the flattening of the feet can also cause a loss of height.

Men can gradually lose an inch between the ages of 30 to 70, and women can lose about two inches. After the age of 80, it’s possible for both men and women to lose another inch.

Sorry for the bad news!

I just don't want you to blame yourself.  You are obviously working very hard on this.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

If men ate like some of you are eating, they'd probably lose 25 pounds in a month😁. Yet experts say it's calories and exercise only that contributes to our poundage.

@AuntG men lose weight faster than women because they have more muscle, especially in the upper body, and muscle gives men a faster metabolism—5 to 10% faster.  In other words, the muscle means men burn more calories even in a resting state.