Honored Contributor

I am trying intermittent fasting.. kind of....

[ Edited ]

I eat one healthy meal every other day. On that  meal  day, I focus on complete nutrition.  Just healthy foods.   On the days I do not "Eat a meal", I take my suppplements and herbs... drink warm unsweetened almond milk with Stevia and drink herbal tea.  So it is NOT a water fast... just a break from solid chew type food and less calories.... maybe 400-500 calories on the non meal days with the unsweetened almond milk being 40 calories per cup. I will also have some low sodium chicken broth on my no eat days... 

I have been doing this for a week now. I feel great. In fact my digestion feels so much better giving it a rest and a chance to clean out on the days I fast. My energy is good.  The almond milk satisfys me.

I hope to lose maybe a pound or so a week or more. Just a healthy weight loss. Would like to lose 20 pounds over the process. 

I know that this would not work for a lot of people, but, I have kind of crazy eatting patterns so for me it  comes easy.    

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am trying intermittent fasting.. kind of....

You might want to do some more research on what intermittent fasting actually entails.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I think that's great.  Everyone is different and you need to find out what works best for you.  Once you find a good plan then stick to it.

I've been doing an Atkin's shake for breakfast, salad for lunch then a balanced meal for dinner for about a year now.  Lost 12 pounds and have kept it off and feel better than I have in along time.   

Respected Contributor

I guess I will say  I am doing intermittent fasting ..  sort of .. as well ...

Have breakfast about 8:30  .. nothing until lunch ....lunch right at

noon .....nothing between then and 6 when I have dinner ... absolutely

no eating after dinner for the rest of the night ....

I also have been doing a modified Keto ... and I have never felt better ....

no bread .. rice .. pasta or potatoes .... of course that helps with my

type 2 diabetes ... that's just stuff I should'nt have anyway ....

No diet soda ... no sugar ....

I've lost 40 Lbs. since Oct... and I better keep it up as all the fat

clothes are out the door ......

Respected Contributor

I think maintaining a weight loss involves a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and some level of activity.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

You might want to do some more research on what intermittent fasting actually entails.

@CrazyDaisy  I know it is not exactly intermittent fasting as people call it today...it is my form of  it. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Are you planning on doing this for the rest of your life? Or is it a temporary diet? Do you have plans for how to handle socializing on fasting days?

Just curious. Of course feel free not to answer if you prefer not to and I won't take it personally.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I needed to lose about 20 pounds. Gained it shortly after I retired. 

I did it by eliminating all cheese and condiments permanently (mayo, ketchup and Miracle Whip). 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I think maintaining a weight loss involves a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and some level of activity.

@Desert Lily  I agree. I guess I needed some inspiration to get me on track....this is jumpstarting my plan. I know it is not something I would follow forever. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@SeaMaiden Are you planning on doing this for the rest of your life? Or is it a temporary diet? Do you have plans for how to handle socializing on fasting days?

Just curious. Of course feel free not to answer if you prefer not to and I won't take it personally.

@Porcelain  Just a jumpstart to get me going. To get motivated.Not planing to do it forever.  I am not social at all, so that is not an issue. I just need a jump start.   But I feel really good so might do it for a few months!