Honored Contributor

Re: I am over the waiting room

@Laura14

I understand, but a doctor only gets 2 chances with me. I have had many doctors in the last 15 years, from many different Specialty fields. For me, I talk directly to the doctor, not anyone on the staff.

Tell the doc just what you said, "my time is valuable to me also". Many co-workers used to b----h to me about just about every and anything. My standing comment: "tell it to someone that is in a position to do something about it, and that ain't me". Most preferred to b----h than talk directly to a higher up, or anyone in management.

I give doctors the benefit of the doubt, but consistently? Nope! Certain places I have waited hours over these years, but these were in procedure centers waiting areas where no 1 person can control how many surgeries or procedures will be done on any given day. Will I b----h to them? Not a chance, they are just doing their job, and that does not include overbooking, more to do with Emergency Surgeries, and other specific cases.

If waiting is part of what happens to me in these types of areas, I usually can strike up a conversation with others in these waiting areas. Time goes much faster when a mind is busy, and during my 120+ blood transfusions, some 7 hours, a person adjusts to passing time keeping their mind occupied.

Glad to here this is your last visit for your wrist, and I hope you are getting it back to 100% at some point. I remember your 1st post about it, seems like only yesterday to me.

Best to ya,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Laura14,   The other day I had an appt. with an Orthopeadic doctor.  I was placed in a room and told the dr. would be with me shortly.  After 50 minutes, I got up to leave and opened the door and the dr. was on the other side.  I told him 50 minutes waiting time is ridiculous and I want my co-pay.  Well, he started aplogizing and told me he had two broken bones in the a.m.  What really p___d me off was his assistant never explained that the dr. was running late.  I am sorry I did not get up at 40 minutes.  His office should actually call you and reschedule.  Our time is just as precious as some of these doctors.  When I visit my PCP, I  wait  less than 5 minutes.   

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

And Dr. Laura is looking at her x-ray and I think I am healed. Looks good to me. No callous like last time. I say I walk and save myself the doctor fee. Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

I have an appt for a reason & it's not so I can sit & wait to see the doctor. ITA don't make an appt on Mon or Fri. I always make mine on Tues at 1 PM. It's the 1st appt after lunch. I gert in & out. Normally only 5-10 min wait time. Most doctor office's around here close from 12-1 PM. & early on Fri. If I have to wait more then 20 mins I'm out of there. I'm not waiting because I have better things to do. I hate those doctor office's that make you sit & wait in the waiting room then put you in one of the rooms where they see you so you can wait some more. If a Big Pharma pill pusher comes in make them wait not the patient. I found a new doctor years ago when mine overbooked & had to sit & wait hrs.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut. Thanks! I did a lot of talking last time. They were scared of me when I left but, hey, I work too.

@Katcat1 You almost described my last visit to a tee except I hit a poor intern. He may be rethinking his career choice after me. I felt bad but lesson to learn early on. Treat patients with respect.
Trusted Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think ortho drs are the worst for making people wait.  I had shoulder surgery years ago and used to wait 2-3 hours after my set appt to see him.  Seriously.  People were walking out right and left and almost had a riot in the waiting room. 

Our ortho practice has about 8 doctors.  A few of them have sterling reputations and a few  are not so great.  The good ones always have a long wait both in the waiting area and in the treatment rooms.  The patients seeing the not so great ones are in and out.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 Hang in there it will all be over soon and you will never have to see him again.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz totally agree! I've been reading a Tony Robbins book about increasing your standards with people and it made a lot of sense.

Doc was in and out just to say what I thought. Almost healed. He did talk me into one final appointment in a month and I did a Tuesday. I am seen at my scheduled time or I walk!
Honored Contributor

Thanks all for keeping me company while I started to have a moment. ♥

You guys have all been the best virtual friends through this anyone could ever be lucky enough to have.♥😘
Esteemed Contributor

My husband went for a check-up this morning.  Appointment was for 9:00am...he waited 40 minutes!!  Just doesn't make sense to fall so behind that early in the day.....