Super Contributor

Re: I am looking for a toothpaste for sensitive gums and dry mouth

Butterfly,

It sounds like you're on the right track.  My dentist recommended Biotene to me for dry mouth.  I was having issues from medications and was increasingly having problems.  Their mouthwash and mouth spray is gentle as well.  I was using another mouth spray that was wonderful, but it was discontinued (of course!).  If you have any sensitivity to the toothpaste, perhaps go with a toothpaste for the gum sensitivity and use Biotine mouthwash and/or the mouth spray? I try to get it on sale due to the cost.  Of course, asking your dentist is always the best bet.  Best of luck!

Trusted Contributor

OraMD is a great product.  Do a search for this.  It comes in drops and lasts a long time.  It can be added to a non-flouride toothpaste or used alone on your toothbrush. When we use the ingredients that are in flouride toothpastes it can cause different problems, including pulling the gums away from the teeth.  I order from the website.  

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

If you have sensitive gums that is different than sensitive teeth.  Peridex (chlorhexidine gluconate) is often suggested for gum issues.  It can stain your teeth.

Another thing to consider is gel toothpaste can clog your drain.

@abbeythe 8th

Who uses THAT much toothpaste on the brush?  All you need is a pea sized dollop of (any) toothpaste.   How would that clog your drains?

Respected Contributor

My grandfather was a very prominent dentist in Louisville in the 1940's-1960's. He always brushed with a paste made from baking soda! Mind you, this was pre-fluoride, but try mixing a paste of baking soda with your gel! It won't be cost prohibitive! Good luck!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I use Sensodyne at night, Dr. Bonners in the morning and baking soda in the afternoon (usually before I go to the gym).

I like Dr. Bonners.  I use the cinnamon version.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN