Honored Contributor

Re: I am itching all over my arms

[ Edited ]

Her son reads this too, so he knows what is going on. I have never suggested any medicine  for her to take, and only this time, have I ever seen an over the counter drug mentioned

People are free to do as they see fit. As for me ,if she asks for help, I will try to give it to her ,to the best of my abilities.

She is lonely, and frightened ,and needy, and I won't turn my back on her

Honored Contributor

I've read many kind and caring posts sent her way, people have been supportive and shown concern towards her. Her situation seems to be of a rather complex nature involving physical, mental, financial, and other dynamics. To listen and encourage is probably the best approach. Since she is her own person she will make her own choices and decisions.

Honored Contributor

Just as long as we aren't encouraging and aiding her in staying in an unsafe situation. . . it happened to my mother so that's why I am saying think very carefully about how we respond.  We could have a greater impact that we know. 

Esteemed Contributor

I worry about her memory lapses.

She has lost keys, and checkbooks, etc, in the past.

I'm worried that she might forget that a pot is cooking on the stove, and a fire will start, and I know that my dad would have been overwhelmed as to what to do in that situation, that he would've froze. I worry about that happening to her.

I worry about her getting lost on her walks.

Yes, it's the same route every time, but as memory declines, even the familiar can become unfamiliar.

Again that's what happened to my dad.

When I was at work, he decided to go for a walk, and when I came home he was gone, no where to be found.

As it turned out, he had walked past our house, not even recognising it.

Long story short, a Good Samaritan found my dad about a half mile past the house and brought him home, only because my dad recognized my car, and not the house.

I worry that the same thing could happen to halfpint.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I stopped at walmart today but they were out of Benatryl but I did buy Calamine lotion.

Hi @halfpint1 how are you feeling today?  Did the Calamine help?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all worry about @halfpint1 . What she needs is friends. We can do little more than that ,being separated by distance

She needs to feel people care about her, and will try to help her figure things out.Telling her to get benadryl, is not some horrible thing. My husband was told this today, by a nurse when he had an iron infusion. I questioned her about making itching worse. She said that almost never will happen

When they list drug reactions they list everything ,even if just one person had the reaction. If halfpint would have ask for something at the pharmacy, they would have more than likely, recommended benadryl. It is what is commonly used

@Redtop has been lovely to halfpint. I have seen how kindly she posts things to her, to help her understand, and remain calm. She has been though things like this, with family members and had a medical background. I think she is one of halfpint's favorite board friends.

Her son is in ill health too.  For what time she is with us, I hope  it can be a place ,where she feels valued, and part of the group. Not looking out from behind a pane of glass, at everyone else chatting, and feeling  more alone than ever

To deny  her a place among us will only hurt her more. She needs to feel she belongs with us, and we  will help her feel needed and accepted..She asks for help, because sometimes, I think it is something for her to say. Small talk might come very hard for her now..

We can't control what  she does, but ,we can make her feel good when she is with us. I hope this is a safe place for her to land ,when she needs to talk to us

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry - nicely said.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

We all worry about @halfpint1 . What she needs is friends. We can do little more than that ,being separated by distance

She needs to feel people care about her, and will try to help her figure things out.Telling her to get benadryl, is not some horrible thing. My husband was told this today, by a nurse when he had an iron infusion. I questioned her about making itching worse. She said that almost never will happen

When they list drug reactions they list everything ,even if just one person had the reaction. If halfpint would have ask for something at the pharmacy, they would have more than likely, recommended benadryl. It is what is commonly used

@Redtop has been lovely to halfpint. I have seen how kindly she posts things to her, to help her understand, and remain calm. She has been though things like this, with family members and had a medical background. I think she is one of halfpint's favorite board friends.

Her son is in ill health too.  For what time she is with us, I hope  it can be a place ,where she feels valued, and part of the group. Not looking out from behind a pane of glass, at everyone else chatting, and feeling  more alone than ever

To deny  her a place among us will only hurt her more. She needs to feel she belongs with us, and we  will help her feel needed and accepted..She asks for help, because sometimes, I think it is something for her to say. Small talk might come very hard for her now..

We can't control what  she does, but ,we can make her feel good when she is with us. I hope this is a safe place for her to land ,when she needs to talk to us

@cherry,  The benevolence and grace in your post brought me to tears.   I hope you don't mind my quoting and enlarging it...  from earlier posts and threads, I recall that dear @halfpint1 can read larger text more easily, and I hope she will see and feel your warmth and gentle kindness.   I agree that many posters have been charitable and supportive over the years, and @RedTop the exemplar of a true friend.❤️

Thank you, (((@cherry))), for the reminder of the meaning of "community."❤️   

And (((hugs))) @halfpint1.   I hope you're better today.   I always keep you in my prayers.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

@cherry   AMEN, SISTA!

You're walkin' the talk!

Esteemed Contributor

Since I couldn't get in to see my doctor I went to the care place there. The doctor gave me a shot in the butt and called up for some other meds to put on my arms. Waited about 2 hours. Hope everything works out. Thank you for caring.