Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am itching all over my arms

I take thyroid meds.

Honored Contributor

I am worried about halfpint taking her meds for thyroid. She posted she took them with food ,because she thinks it will do her good

On another thread, I posted at length, symptoms of thyroid problems. It sited so many of the symptoms that she has. I asked  her to show this to her son ,and to tell her Dr she had been taking them with food

I never got an answer. I copied an pasted a lengthy article,  from a thyroid website explaining symptoms to her. I told her to put a reminder on her fridge, so, she would remember to talk to her Dr about this

I have a feeling I might have been ignored. I don't know how to convince her ,meds must be taken as prescribed. The fact of the matter is, if you take thyroid meds on a full stomach ,you might as well not take them

She has so many symptoms that are identical to thyroid issues, I feel she could be much better if she would follow the rules that apply for taking this drug

@halfpint1  I am not trying to shame you, or scold you, I am hoping this might relieve some of your problems

Esteemed Contributor

Many of us take out thyroid meds with food just like you halfpint.  As long as we are consistent there is no problem.  Food usually only interferes to drop the dose down 10 or 20 percent.

Since the medication is only approximate due to the strengths available, you should be fine.  Your doctor just makes up the difference as always.

Just don’t make a change without doing more bloodwork.  I have been steady a long time.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried taking Benadryl?

Honored Contributor

She has a habit of not telling us everything,and not answering us.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Personally, I have to give her a break and I try to remember that she's 81 (I think?) and has 'issues' in a lot of aspects of her life.

I wish the best for her.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I am scheduled for a blood test in a couple of weeks then  week after with  my doctor.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1  that is 3 weeks from now. If you are still uncomfortable, you need to call the Drs office, and go in early

You don't have to wait that long ,when you are having problems...

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to but Wallmart shade was down when I went for my walk. Also my doctor never told me when to take the drugs--before or after eating. or how long.

Super Contributor

@halfpint1  the physician recommended means of properly self- administering thyroid meds is to take your thyroid pill first thing in the morning, with as much of a glass of water as you can stomach.

DO NOT EAT or DRINK  (except water) for 1 HOUR, then you may eat breakfast and drink coffee.

Wait 4 hours to take vitamins or iron meds.

This just helps you get the most of what the thyroid med is supposed to help with.

I also do this every morning w/my Synthroid pill.