Regular Contributor

Re: I Would Appreciate Your Prayers

These are definite combat veterans. From the viet nam veteran war. That suffered the effects or after effects. Agent orange, to well, nothing was recognized non of it for many many years. Which was the biggest problem. We were left isolated/especially the soldiers. And so they grew old if lucky to live long enough but too many got,well many ailments. Yes many got compensated. But you know money can't buy your health. I think my children were even affected to be honest. But it won't be revieled for many years yet. Cancer was another one. Like you said. You and I GET IT!  Even though I divorced. But trust me I lived with him for 18 years and he was fresh out of the war. He was in the army when we married. He's on 100% disability now. 
   I hope @jubilant looks past one happy visit with loved ones. Because 40 years on that medication is a long time to cut him off. He could contemplate things .....well I cant speculate but we've all tried now it's up to her to take control. The VA has changed. The drs are very good. I still honor those that gave me my freedom. I love my country. They fought so I can live and breathe to do as I please. We have to help those that need us now. I won't turn my back on our freedom fighters. 

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My opinion is that anyone trying to get off an addictive medication like Ativan, needs to start this process in an inpatient hospital setting.   

I feel it is too risky to expect your husband to wean off this medication at home!   If his withdrawal symptoms scare you, please call his Dr and ask for help.  

I agree with @RedTop  on this. I've had people close to me do impatient to get off benzo's. I can't imagine doing it at home, but that aside-my prayers are with your husband and you. Strength and God Speed!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yesyesyes568 wrote:

I'll be praying for husband. I'm in the same position. I've been on HRT for 40 years and you can just repeat your story with my name in it. So I developed lung blood clots and was told to stop HRT. Well I can't because I'm addicted to them just like DH is. So I researched and found a dr that specializes in HRT to have her keep me on them or take me off the right way via whatever the right way means.  She kept me on them because tests show HRT didn't cause the blood clots. 
    You have to get your husband to a non VA Dr. Another person suggested  psychiatrist and I agree. Make it with a Therapist first to get a foot in the door and go from their. This is nothing to play with. I was married to a combat viet nam vet. I understand it. For 18 years. Divorced him for a completely odd terrible reason. Please MAM take your DH to get him where he stays on this drug or the consequences could be dire. 
      Also, this should be a reason to get veterans disability. If he's already getting it then spend some of it to go to non military government Dr. Or request the VA that your husband is displaying signs of severe depression that may lead you to believe that he may be suicidal and taking him off of their mistake of over 30-40 years ago of keeping him on it, is now something they have to reconsider and to continue because your DH is suffering.  You must tell them that. 
        Take this very seriously and these suggestions for solutions. Or go to an attorney. Talk to your family. Talk to your Dr. Maybe go to a therapist yourself for consult. You both get Medicare that pays. 
         Good luck 

Best to you. 

oh by the way....I went 120 miles to get the Dr I went to see at the Cleveland clinic. So it's how serious are you about doing and getting something done. Or are you going to sit by and let things happen. Prayers help but HE wants those to help themselves too......

Ask that Dr to give you a reason why your DH should be taken off of that medication, if he can't have a solid answer then tell him you want him to stay on them. If you can't go be with him in the exam then ask for a supervisor. 

STAY STRONG

Hi, @Yesyesyes568  Thanks for your post.  I identify with almost everything you say. I have insisted many times that DH get help and and even issued many "ultimatums" down through the years.  Once, I even left him for 4 months.  That was many years ago. He went begrudgingly to counseling but he went!   Had he not listened we would not still be married.  We celebrated 52 yrs. of marriage 2 days ago! 

I need to let you (and others)  know that..... last night I went over his medications and no wonder he's having so much trouble.  He has been taking his medications all wrong!   He totally misunderstood his instructions for almost two weeks....so now we start over.

DH does get a sizeable pension.  He was heavily exposed to Agent Orange and was offered no counseling. He suffered a serious wound and almost lost his leg. He spent 6 months at Walter Reed.  We married soon after that.  Right now he is doing everything his doctor asks and is not ready (in his mind) to get counseling.  Make no mistake, I know after 40 years of being on Ativan, that this will not be easy and I do take it very seriously.  I have had several health issues myself this past year and the thought of going through something like this  seems (at times) is overwhelming to me.  I do have a strong faith and believe that  is what has  taken me through a lot over all these years. He has never physically abused me. I wish for people to know that. I would not stay with someone who did that.  Emotionally ( well that's another story)  but thank God he was willing to get to counseling all those years ago.  It is what saved our marriage.   

I'm so sorry for all you have been through.  I could write a book on it myself.  My 91 yr. old mother thinks I should but that is definitly not a talent of mine. Ha! 

Believe me, I do take it very seriously and I appreciate everything you have shared and your concern.  It is a good reminder for me to be on top of things.  I'm sure trying.  Please, be well.    

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@jubilant   Prayers being said for your husband, AND for you! 
  My husband served two tours in Vietnam and had panic attacks. He was on Paxel. He had heart by passes and passed from Lung cancer due to agent Orange 17 years ago. 
  My son was concerned when he went on Paxel due to withdrawal symptoms but I told him his panic attacks were making him go on midnight walks. He stayed on it until he passed. 
  I'm sure there are better things now as your Dr said, but it's so hard for you both, I'm sorry! 
                  🙏🏼  ❤️ 🇺🇸

@1Snickers  Thanks for sharing this.  I'm sorry for all you went through together and for your loss.  DH has cancer, too. He had to have his prostate taken out. In his case there was no other choice. I know many men have this but it seems everything he gets is escalated. 

I have checked out medications on trusted websites and I do know that many are using the treatment DH has been put on with pretty good  results.  I haven't found a lot of info, however, on someone who has been on it for so very many years.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My opinion is that anyone trying to get off an addictive medication like Ativan, needs to start this process in an inpatient hospital setting.   

I feel it is too risky to expect your husband to wean off this medication at home!   If his withdrawal symptoms scare you, please call his Dr and ask for help.  

@RedTop 
I agree, especially after reading the OP's most recent post about her husband's error in taking the prescribed medication. 
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

I will certainly pray for your husband and you, @jubilant. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to come off of Ativan after that many years of taking it. 

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418

@RedTop 

Just to let you know....we did call his doctor.  They called back and gave him very specific instructions.   I was there listening.  They are circled and underlined. The sweating spell he had (that alarmed me so much) they didn't seem worried about since he is ok and has not had another one that bad. I believe that was no surprise to them, especially since he wasn't taking it as it was supposed to be taken. 

Right now we are taking it one day at a time and not fooling ourselves that this will be a cake walk. While we are  hoping and praying for a miracle and smooth transition we are also preparing our minds for some rough seas ahead and trying to stay as positive as possible in spite of everything.

Honored Contributor

So very sorry to hear of this situation.  Sending prayers.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

I am very happy to hear of your call to the doctor, and know you will continue to reach out for medical help if needed.   

Your husband is truly facing the battle of his life to detox 35-40 years worth of Ativan from his body.   I know people who have successfully gone thru prescription med dependency detox, but all of them were admitted to a hospital psych unit for 3-5 days for medical guided treatment and observation as a safety precaution.  

I am truly shocked that any level of medical provider would put a patients safety and well being at risk to try to guide a high level detox as an outpatient observation process.   I do not feel your husband is being treated appropriately for this serious issue.   

I sincerely hope your husband does well over the next few days, and am absolutely remembering both of you in my prayers!   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@jubilant 

I am very happy to hear of your call to the doctor, and know you will continue to reach out for medical help if needed.   

Your husband is truly facing the battle of his life to detox 35-40 years worth of Ativan from his body.   I know people who have successfully gone thru prescription med dependency detox, but all of them were admitted to a hospital psych unit for 3-5 days for medical guided treatment and observation as a safety precaution.  

I am truly shocked that any level of medical provider would put a patients safety and well being at risk to try to guide a high level detox as an outpatient observation process.   I do not feel your husband is being treated appropriately for this serious issue.   

I sincerely hope your husband does well over the next few days, and am absolutely remembering both of you in my prayers!   

@RedTop   Thank you for the prayers. I tend to agree with you about his being observed.  I get the sense he doesn't realize how serious this could and, in my mind, probably will get. Either that, or he is so scared he doesn't want to even think about it.  I'm not sure which it is?   When I mention it to him, he says,"that's not what I need to hear right now". 

His regime now is Buspirone (10 mgs) 1 tablet twice daily and Ativan (1 mg.) 2 times a day.  He is coming off of 4 mgs. a day of Ativan. I found out today that he didn't take the Ativan (just the buspirone) for the last 2 days. When I asked him why.... he said he misunderstood the instructions.  Those days that he didn't take the Ativan are the days he had the bad hot flash, crying, and depression.  Frankly, I do not understand his not taking that Ativan for 2 days??? If this happens again I will call his doctor myself.  It's kind of like he's saying..."Me big bull, I can handle this".  I'm not so sure he even realizes how really addicted he is yet. It's just hard to tell at this point? I really do appreciate the concern and caring attitude of you and others posters. It has been a big help to me.