Respected Contributor

Re: I Would Appreciate Your Prayers

[ Edited ]

His regime now is Buspirone (10 mgs) 1 tablet twice daily and Ativan (1 mg.) 2 times a day.  He is coming off of 4 mgs. a day of Ativan. I found out today that he didn't take the Ativan (just the buspirone) for the last 2 days. When I asked him why.... he said he misunderstood the instructions.  Those days that he didn't take the Ativan are the days he had the bad hot flash, crying, and depression.  Frankly, I do not understand his not taking that Ativan for 2 days??? If this happens again I will call his doctor myself.  It's kind of like he's saying..."Me big bull, I can handle this".  I'm not so sure he even realizes how really addicted he is yet. It's just hard to tell at this point? I really do appreciate the concern and caring attitude of you and others posters. It has been a big help to me. 

@jubilantYou said in your original post that that the doctor was adding a different benzodiazepinebut that is not what Buspirone is. That seems like a wise decision.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

If my husband was in this situation, he would not understand the severity of his predicament, and would be stunned that this was even an issue.   I would be the one to say he needed to go to the ER.   

Once my husband went into the VA healthcare system, I have reminded providers of his long term meds and made sure he was not left on anything for years and years.   I am referring to his basic meds, as he does not take anxiety type meds.  Clinic providers just keep renewing whatever meds are listed in his online record, so I ask them to look at the meds I'm concerned about and notice the length of time he's been taking them.   

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

His regime now is Buspirone (10 mgs) 1 tablet twice daily and Ativan (1 mg.) 2 times a day.  He is coming off of 4 mgs. a day of Ativan. I found out today that he didn't take the Ativan (just the buspirone) for the last 2 days. When I asked him why.... he said he misunderstood the instructions.  Those days that he didn't take the Ativan are the days he had the bad hot flash, crying, and depression.  Frankly, I do not understand his not taking that Ativan for 2 days??? If this happens again I will call his doctor myself.  It's kind of like he's saying..."Me big bull, I can handle this".  I'm not so sure he even realizes how really addicted he is yet. It's just hard to tell at this point? I really do appreciate the concern and caring attitude of you and others posters. It has been a big help to me. 

@jubilantYou said in your original post that that the doctor was adding a different benzodiazepinebut that is not what Buspirone is. That seems like a wise decision.

@mom2four0418    Oh dear....I did say that.  I just went back and edited that post.  Sorry, I was mixed up.  Originally DH said something to me that  the medicine they were adding stayed longer in the system and I did think he said it was in the same family as Ativan.  My mistake. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@jubilant 

If my husband was in this situation, he would not understand the severity of his predicament, and would be stunned that this was even an issue.   I would be the one to say he needed to go to the ER.   

Once my husband went into the VA healthcare system, I have reminded providers of his long term meds and made sure he was not left on anything for years and years.   I am referring to his basic meds, as he does not take anxiety type meds.  Clinic providers just keep renewing whatever meds are listed in his online record, so I ask them to look at the meds I'm concerned about and notice the length of time he's been taking them.   

@RedTop   My husband has had the same family doctor for many many years.  This doctor was also my parents doctor for probably 30 yrs. This doctor helped them a lot and was a great doctor to them.  DH had a lot of faith in him so it is hard for us to believe he was negligent.  I honestly think maybe he thought it would be harder on  DH's health to take him off of it. 

Don't quote me on that because I really don't know that for a fact.  This doctor brought my Dad through so much and we had Dad till he was 89.  My mom was so fond of him too and she is 91 and attributes her  "well being" and still being on her own partially to this doctor.  As you can see....there are a lot of unseen factors probably going on in DH's mind.  Still, DH does want to try his hardest because I think (as does he) that the Ativan isn't working anymore like it once did. 

With all that said, I am for him getting off the Ativan.....at the same time....I am very concerned what it's going to do to his mind and body.  He is not one to let anyone else make his decisions for him.  I've lived with him for 52 years and if there is anything I know about him..... it's that!!!!   I can lead the horse to water but I can't make him drink.

Respected Contributor

You and your husband have my prayers, @jubilant . Yes, withdrawal is exceedingly hard to go through and to watch. It is sometimes done in a hospital or rehab setting, but when that's not possible, an in-home nurse can be of great help and support.  Your husband's health and quality of life will be much improved once he comes through this, with you at his side. Blessings on you both.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

First, thank you husband for me for his service.

I will keep your husband & you in my prayers.  I truly hope his current doctor is helping him.  Sending you both (((comfort hugs))).  Heart

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@jubilant 

First, thank you husband for me for his service.

I will keep your husband & you in my prayers.  I truly hope his current doctor is helping him.  Sending you both (((comfort hugs))).  Heart

@sceniccoast    DH says, "thank you"!  The last couple of days have been so much better since he is taking his medicine according to doctors instructions.  I will be seeing his current doctor myself for my first "new patient" visit soon.  We will now be having the same family doctor. Thank you for your prayers.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

Good morning.

Thank you for the update.  It's great news your hubby's feeling/doing much better.  I'm sure it's a big stress-reliever for you as well.  Good luck on the doctor visit & I truly hope all continues to go well.  

Hope you're having good weather to go out & enjoy it.  We can't believe it today, it's like a Fall day today, 60s, no humidity!  Perfect.  We'll pick up my Mom & see where our car takes us.  Woman Wink  Take care.

Respected Contributor

Sending prayers.  God bless.

Regular Contributor

Hello my dear, sounds like you GET IT! You've been through enough. The only thing I see missing is maybe you could BOTH went to therapy. If he went, that therapist Should have had told him to bring you In at some point in time....maybe the therapist did...we'll never know. He needed it but you going also is for you to understand why, from a therapist to guide you and there by means to support him. It's all for the good. That way you would feel you had some little input in having a harmonious marriage. 
   The viet nam combat vet had a lot of baggage as you and I know. Others have no idea. PTSD is nothing to mess with. Back then they didn't even say the word even if the Government knew about it. But as wives, we sure suffered it, not just the guy we chose to marry. And we were looked down on. Trust me I know!  I get it!  So the solders weren't the only ones looked down on ,so were We!  
    If we knew this back then and lived in Washington or VA we could have made a group,but we tried to hide our shame or problems. We didn't even know what we were going through anyway. 
   Now we have ailments, and wonder why we have them....stress from early years!!

But no veteran disability for you and I.....

Sad 😞   

I had my own buisness and had as high as Col. for customers in the military. Many COL.s and other military men come to my shop. I had a Barber Shop. They praised me. I had a customer who I was told was a hero in the viet nam war, you'd never know it either....he was one of the guys that called me "one of their own"

They can sense my love of country, even though I had a hard time just with one dude. 
I didn't take it out on the rest. I respected the rest. Still do. 
     I understand a lot. I'm retired now. I have many illnesses also. But you take care of you, my friend. No body else will. Try to find a hobby to keep your mind busy. 
     I will keep good thoughts of you! And your husband!