Honored Contributor

Re: I Think I May Have Celiac Disease

I was tested years ago because I was Irish.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I hope you get your answers soon.  I had my gallbaldder removed about twenty years ago.  I also had my annual exam a couple of months ago, and was tested for H--Pylori, which was negative.  I didn't see how it could possibly be that anyway.  

At that time I wasn't having the mouth sores so didn't mention that to her.  Also, my gastrointestinal problems weren't as severe.

I am so sorry you're feeling so bad.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   No, I don't have rashes.  It may not be Celiac disease, but it seems strange that the mouth sores came when I started eating wheat bread every day.  I don't normally have canker sores.  

I need to see my doctor about these problems anyway, and the blood test for Celiac disease can't hurt.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack There is a thread that just started about grain free tortillas. You can start eliminating triggers to see if it helps. No harm in finding healthy alternatives regardless of the diagnosis.

Esteemed Contributor

Causes besides wheat-

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. A stress or minor injury to the inside of the mouth is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods —including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, strawberries) — can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®), is another common cause. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger the sores.

Some cases of complex canker sores are seen in patients with diseases of the immune system. These diseases include lupus, Behcet's disease, inflammatory bowel diseases (including celiac disease, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease) and AIDS. Canker sores are also seen in patients with nutritional problems, such as a deficiency in vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid or iron.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal   l've been eating a lot of tomatoes lately, too.  They're locally grown and so good this time of year.  I think I'll cut them out for now along with the wheat bread and see if that helps.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@qbetzforreal   l've been eating a lot of tomatoes lately, too.  They're locally grown and so good this time of year.  I think I'll cut them out for now along with the wheat bread and see if that helps.

@NickNack- The tomatoes as delicious as they are acidic.  They could be the culprit.  Still contact your doctor as planned for a definitive answer.  Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I have Celiac Disease that was diagnosed 37 years ago.  I suspected that I had it and had to go to a few doctors before anyone would test me for it.

Right now, there is more information on this and more substitute food products available that taste okay.

Normally, I just eat foods that do not contain gluten and don't bother too much with bread substitutes.

At first, I was devistated, but now it is my normal.

I suspect my father had it too, but he was never diagnosed.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your input @Carmie .  It's helpful to hear from someone who has it.  I'm sure it was much more difficult 37 years ago.  I don't think I'll have a problem getting tested for it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Nicknack I was having intestinal issues last year and after several months went to dr. She ordered blood work which showed positive “marker” for celiac. Once I looked at the dietary restrictions I was blown away. It basically required a complete change in diet. My dr informed me that the blood marker is NOT a definitive test to confirm celiac and ordered an upper endoscopy to be done during a colonoscopy that was already due. Well, happy to say it was negative. I have made some changes to my diet but glad I didn’t need a total overhaul of my entire pantry!