Honored Contributor

Re: I Think I May Have Celiac Disease

That's interesting @Natureluvr .  I'm glad you were negative.

I eat a whole wheat protein waffle for breakfast with almond butter and a ham and cheese sandwich with tomato on whole wheat bread for lunch most days.  After my waffle this morning my stoach is hurting.  I do think the wheat could be causing this.

As far as the canker sores, they are an indication of Celiac disease.  I also think it could be the tomatoes, though, as someone metioned.  I will cut them out and see what happens.  I'm not sure what I'll substitute for the whole wheat.

The celiac testts don't work unless you're eating gluten though.  I do know I have the two markers that 23 and Me tests for.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

To truly know if you have Celiac disease, your doctor needs to do an upper endoscopy and take a biopsy of the small intestine. You could have a gluten sensitivity, which as the same symptoms as having the disease has, but it's not the same as having the actual disease, which can do damage to the small intestine, unlike just having a sensitivity.

It's best to have a consultation with a gastroenterologist, discuss your symptoms and decide what tests to do and/or what foods to stop for awhile---it's a process.

I have some symptoms and my doctor decided to do a blood test--that test came back negative for Celiac, but if I just have a sensitivity, that would not show up on blood work for Celiac.

Feel better!

Honored Contributor

Thank you very much for this information @Gracies Mom .  The more I read about Celiac Disease the more I think it's possible that I have it.

My doctor told me a couple of years ago that my blood tests showed I was low in calcium, although I was taking 1500 mg. and drinking milk and eating cottage cheese and yogurt, among other things.  I was shocked.  I upped it to 1900 mg., and this year she told me I was low in calcium again.  I am now taking 2300 mg.

I also have osteoporosis and take Prolia injections every six months.  I have read that low calcium (malabsorption of calcium) is a strong indicator of undiagnosed Celiac disease.

After your post I think I may make an appointment with my gastroenterologist instead of my regular doctor.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I have had recent issues with cold sores on my bottom lip and right inside my mouth. Went to dr and was told it was the result of having to wear masks for long periods of time during the heat this summer. I have stayed inside without wearing one for a week and they have almost all cleared up. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Are you due for a colonscopy?  You can be tested for Celiac at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Hope you get some quick answers.

Wishing you well!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Carmie   I had a colonoscopy two years ago.  I'm calling this morning to make an appointment with the gastroenterologist.  I've been making a list of everything that's going on to share with him.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Since a colonocopy mostly examines the large intestine and Celiac affects the small intestine, in my opinion, I would agree faster to an upper endoscopy (no prep) and have the biopsy of the small intestine looking for Celiac.

Good luck and feel better!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you don't have celiac disease, @NickNack . That's a difficult disease to deal with. You know, it's also possible you just have a gluten sensitivity. If your system doesn't digest gluten properly you can have some of those same symptoms.

I think I have a moderate sensitivity to gluten. I get very tired when I eat a lot of gluten. And when I was younger I got canker sores quite easily. Never had the celiac rash, though.

What helps me cope is to be strategic about gluten consumption. I opt for gluten free a lot of the time. And then when I want to eat something with gluten, I take a supplement that helps me digest the gluten. That way I can occasionally have pizza and sandwiches without getting particularly tired.

On the other hand if I had actual celiac disease, just taking a supplement would not be enough to avoid a strong reaction after eating gluten.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I used to get canker sores all the time, so did my mom.  I can remember as a kid having a mouth full of them at one time, oh, the pain.

I rarely eat tomatoes, I think there is to much acid in them as they cause mouth sores and tomato sauce on pizza upsets my stomach.  I don't have celiac disease, I just think I'm sensitive to the acidity in tomatoes.  

For what ever reason, I have not had a cancer sore in a long time. Lysine is what my mom took to curb her cancer sores.

I think Elizabeth Hasselback had celiac disease, she lost a lot of weight before she was diagnosed.  I also think she wrote a book on the subject.  Good luck