Honored Contributor

Re: I Performed the Epley Maneuver

Just an update.  I'm still a bit dizzy, but not near as bad as I was yesterday before I did it.  I may try again today to see if I can reposition it to a better location.  I really need to get this taken care of before Sunday because I have to sing at church (with other people), but I'll have to walk down the steps afterwards and it doesn't have hand rails.  Also, the weather is supposed to be a little cooler next week, so I'm going to tackle the shrubs which will require some awkward positions and climbing on a step-stool, trying to avoid my flowers when I get off.  

Respected Contributor

@kaykay1968 wrote:

Unfortunately, I know what this is.  I was diagnosed with BPPV in 2012.  I went to an ER because I was dizzy and the doctor diagnosed it right away.  He said I was the second case he had seen that day which he said was very unusual.  He said it was the ear crystals and it was on my right side.  The meds they prescribed (I think one was Meclizine) made it a whole lot worse and I was in bed for several days and stopped taking the meds and got better. I don't take anything for it now.  I'm just very careful not to get on my right side.   If I get on my right side during the night I start to get dizzy.  I have now trained myself to sleep entirely on my left side and have done so for several years with great success. I have to be very careful though with looking way up or leaning over or looking hard to the right.  I've read about the Epley maneuver for years and was always afraid if I tried it with all the jerking, I might get some neck problems. From what I've read about the Epley, you might have to do it several times and it may not work for some people.  I hope this does not return for you.   I wonder what causes BPPV.  

A physical therapist can show you how to do the Epley maneuver safely, if you're afraid to try it by watching a video.   I plan to see one for this as soon as things open up.  BPPV is a nightmare.

Esteemed Contributor

A tip from my ENT is to sleep sitting up or raised up as much as possible for 3 days after the epley.  

Respected Contributor

I'm finding this of interest because I've had persistent disequilibrium since March. I hope to see my GP in August for a general check on my #s, and will ask about it then. My chief concern is falling. I am sure it will be dismissed as just another MS manifestation, but I've never had a "dizzy day" run for months.

I feel bad for all the people who have things like Meniere's disease. The spinning and balance issues are bad enough, but the ringing must be torture.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann I have a couple of friends who have Menier's disease.  It can be debilitating.  I, myself, have had ringing in my ears for years.  Mostly I am able to ignore it.  My ear doctor recommended a supplement for it, but said it may or may not work and you have to take it twice a day forever, so I chose not to.  He said it was really the only thing he had seen that did work in some cases.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@noodleann I have a couple of friends who have Menier's disease.  It can be debilitating.  I, myself, have had ringing in my ears for years.  Mostly I am able to ignore it.  My ear doctor recommended a supplement for it, but said it may or may not work and you have to take it twice a day forever, so I chose not to.  He said it was really the only thing he had seen that did work in some cases.

Thanks for this info, @Icegoddess . I don't have the ringing problem, but a friend's husband has Meniere's and definitely deals with dizziness and balance and may have the ringing. They want to get together for coffee outside soon, and maybe then I can ask her how he's doing and mention this.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Thanks for this info, @Icegoddess . I don't have the ringing problem, but a friend's husband has Meniere's and definitely deals with dizziness and balance and may have the ringing. They want to get together for coffee outside soon, and maybe then I can ask her how he's doing and mention this.

@noodleann the supplement is Lipo-Flavonoid Plus.  The Epley Maneuver will only work if the dizziness is caused by ear crystals.  It won't work for Menier's.  

Respected Contributor

I saw a new ear dr yesterday  for another ear issue...I mentioned I sometimes get dizzy if I try and move into a certain position while lying in bed. He performed the Epley maneuver on both sides...watched my eyes while he did it and said that's how he could tell if the crystals were disbursing. I tried to make the same move as when I am bed that makes me dizzy....and I had no dizziness at all. I was elated, but this afternoon, with no warning, I couldn't even stand up! the room was spinning. It lasted a couple of hours. I am afraid to drive; what if it happened and I was behind the wheel?