Honored Contributor

I Performed the Epley Maneuver

on myself today.  I woke up this morning with a headache, no surprise since it's raining.  But, when I was getting out of ged I was quite dizzy.  I figured it was ear crystals.  If you don't know what that is, Google BPPV.  It's one of the most common causes of dizzyness.  Usually, mine are not overly problematic and go away on it's own.  However, today I found myself needing to grab ahold of things as I walked around the house, so decided to try to reposition the crystals which is what the Epley Maneuver does.  I had written instructions from my ear doctor, but I found a YouTube video which I found quite helpful since I'm a very visual person.

I think it worked.  It wasn't like I did it and immediately felt normal again, but I was no longer grabbing things every time I had to walk somewhere.  The cat made it worse by getting underfoot.  Guess I'll find out when I go to bed tonight.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Performed the Epley Maneuver

@Icegoddess    I'm so glad to hear from someone who sucessfully used this technique.  I only had one episode of extreme dizziness but it was awful, and my doctor gave me the instructions for the Epley Maneuver but by then the dizziness was gone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, I know what this is.  I was diagnosed with BPPV in 2012.  I went to an ER because I was dizzy and the doctor diagnosed it right away.  He said I was the second case he had seen that day which he said was very unusual.  He said it was the ear crystals and it was on my right side.  The meds they prescribed (I think one was Meclizine) made it a whole lot worse and I was in bed for several days and stopped taking the meds and got better. I don't take anything for it now.  I'm just very careful not to get on my right side.   If I get on my right side during the night I start to get dizzy.  I have now trained myself to sleep entirely on my left side and have done so for several years with great success. I have to be very careful though with looking way up or leaning over or looking hard to the right.  I've read about the Epley maneuver for years and was always afraid if I tried it with all the jerking, I might get some neck problems. From what I've read about the Epley, you might have to do it several times and it may not work for some people.  I hope this does not return for you.   I wonder what causes BPPV.  

Honored Contributor

Glad this worked for you!  I have had this done at the doctor's and it was awful!  It did not help at all.  They gave me instructions also to try at home and I said -- forget it! I'm never doing this again!  I was way worse afterwards!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@IcegoddessI hope you stay feeling dizzy free!  I also experienced vertigo a few times and it's really very unsettling and unpleasant.

Honored Contributor

I will have to look into that procedure.  I woke up last week very dizzy, it did not last an overly long time, less than an hour, but I have no idea what caused it and was very unsettling.

Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of this. I will look it up. Boy the things I learn here. 🙏❤️

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess Good for you! I posted the same problem last week. The vertigo was awful. My doctor told me to take zyrtec and I have to say it helped me so much I was shocked. I don't usually have much luck with antihistamines or whatever that is. Hope you feel better.Vertigo is so frightening. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess  I am glad that it worked for you.  I have never heard of it, but I did look it up and it seems easy.   Most of my vertigo issues occur in a stopped car, so I doubt that I will be in a position to do it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had to perform it on myself before. It never worked as well as when a health care practitioner did it, though. Vertigo is scary and can come on very quickly and violently. Mine will do that in the Spring and peter out after about six months.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004