Esteemed Contributor

I Need A Vitamin Suggestion

[ Edited ]

Since I have spent the last two weeks fighting pneumonia and bronchitis, I realize that I probably need to take some type of vitamin.  I cannot take those packets as they always gave me a serious headache.  I am looking to take just one, and preferably one with a very low dose of calcium. 

DH insists that I am picking up these bad colds at the Y (I am getting one really bad one a year, but this one is very early and much more serious), and he is probably correct.  However, since I am coming in contact with people who apparently are sick, I see nothing that I can do except make a change such as taking a vitamin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: I Need A Vitamin Suggestion

I have been taking Andrew Lessmas Essential 1. 100 mg of calcium, 2000 iu vitamin D3. Have been taking for About three years. I have not had a cold or the flu in this time. Not saying this is the reason I also get the flu shot every year and have had the pneumonia shot also.

Esteemed Contributor

How do you go from pneumonia & bronchitis, to needing a vitamin?

I see no connection.

Neither illness is caused by lack of vitamin, nor prevented or cured by vitamins.

Wash your hands frequently and keep fingers away from your face.

If you don't take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, pick any widely sold 'one a day' type, and tell your Dr.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry you've been so sick! I used to go to the Y also, but haven't in several years. I can't do the machines and Aerobics, or Zumba due to knees. Love the pool but too many chemicals for skin! So, I walk dogs. 
  They  can freeze your time there until you recover.

I don't know about the calcium, but I take Centrum Silver for  older ladies). You may need regular. It has vitamin c. 
Each winter I take citri c (unsure of spelling). It's stronger. 
   Since you've been sick I would ask your Dr or his nurse. 
    Get well soon🤧😷

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are over 65 make sure you get your pneumonia shot.  If you are under 65 you can get one if you are diabetic or have asthma or COPD.  Most states don't require a prescription from your doctor and you can get it at your local pharmacy under their state protocol guidelines.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leggett28

My doctor had me stop taking vitamin D supplement. Evidently my levels were too high.

Your calcium and D3 combo would be for mineral loss from bone, not susceptibility to common colds.

@SXMGirl , it can be dangerous to self prescribe, as with some oil soluable vitamins, it's possible to get enough to do yourself more harm than good.

Will reserve comments about Lessman for another thread.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge  I am just trying to find something to hopefully keep me from getting the common cold and worse.  I wash my hands, wipe down machines at the Y, am careful when handling anything, but I am thinking that if I can add a little protection that it might help.  Nothing extreme.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge  Just had labs done a couple of weeks ago and all was good.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl   You can go to The Vitamin Shoppe dot com and they will personalize a vitamin program based on your answers to some simple questions.  It takes about 4 minutes.  No obligation to buy, and that might give you some direction.

I would encourage you to get a flu shot each year....I've been getting one every year for about 5 years, and haven't been sick at all.  I would ask your doctor what he recommends, but if you aren't able to see a doctor, stay away from crowds until you feel better.  

My mom (who doesn't get a flu shot), was recently sick for about 4-5 days, she had a high fever, and night sweats, but wouldn't take anything other then Tylenol and liquids.  She wasn't hungry and I was about to load her up to see the doctor (against her wishes), because she won't go to the doctor because "all the sick people" are there. 

If I do get sick, I tend to just take NyQuil and it seems to really help me sleep and I always feel better in the morning.

Take care of yourself, pneumonia is nothing to mess with. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I can't recommend a vitamin supplement.  

I used to be sick a lot with bronchitis, sinus infections and strep throat.  My doctor also told me health clubs are one of the worse places for germs. 

So, I quit going to the gym entirely and workout at home.  I have not been sick in many years and the best thing I ever did. 

When I come home from anyplace I've been in public, the first thing I do is wash my hands very well with soap and water.  It really helps.