Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: tI MIGHT STOP MELATONIN USE

@skatting44 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

For years, since death of DH, the only way I can sleep is by taking 5 mg of Zolpidem (generic for Ambien). A few years ago with my doc's OK I added melatonin, 5 mg.

All was working great until 2 weeks ago. Have been having VERY vivid dreams which would wake me and could never get back to sleep. Getting sick of this.

THEN I read a recent post here about others having similar situations using melatonin. So last night I skipped it and slept much better!

No vivid dreams to wake me and prevent me from getting any sleep. Will continue to skip it and hope I get the same good results.

Thanks to those who posted about their experience as it NEVER would have occurred to me that maybe I don't need melatonin anymore. Time will tell.

Ambien has many side effects. Back in the 1990's , I thought there were warnings  of people sleep walking  and not being aware of  what they were doing  after taking the sleeping medication.    with worse ones that you should tell your MD abt  right away   per WebMD  " : memory loss , mental/mood/behavior changes (such as new/worsening  depression , abnormal thoughts, thoughts of suicide , hallucinations , confusion, agitation, aggressive behavior, anxiety ."

My friend bought  Ambien, took it on a trip with her kids. Went to bed early, got up ate 5 weight  loss bars, back to bed, and was told in the morning, her SIL was up and saw her do it. That was the end of that drug.

Respected Contributor

Re: tI MIGHT STOP MELATONIN USE

@skatting44 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Ambien has many side effects. Back in the 1990's , I thought there were warnings  of people sleep walking  and not being aware of  what they were doing  after taking the sleeping medication.    with worse ones that you should tell your MD abt  right away   per WebMD  " : memory loss , mental/mood/behavior changes (such as new/worsening  depression , abnormal thoughts, thoughts of suicide , hallucinations , confusion, agitation, aggressive behavior, anxiety ."

I used to take Ambien for my sleep issues.  I found out I was sleep walking and much more when packages for QVC started showing up at my door that I did not remember ordering.  Apparently I was walking downstairs, turning on the TV and ordering the item that was being aired.  I ordered some Philosophy Body Wash and a pair of shoes before I figured it out. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I MIGHT STOP MELATONIN USE

I have a good GF, that several months back was having some difficulty sleeping, and started taking Melatonin. She was having such vivid, disturbing dreams that she stopped after a week. She told me  that she would just deal with not  being able to sleep  from time to time.