Honored Contributor

Re: tI MIGHT STOP MELATONIN USE

[ Edited ]

I want to add my post from the other thread.  When I tried melatonin, I did experience vivid dreams.

It's good to remember that the melatonin supplement is a synthetic hormone which can have unwanted side-effects or interactions with other drugs or supplements.   

Our body's reaction to it can be very specific and individualized -- for example, some people notice it helps reduce symptoms of depression, but it also can have the opposite effect and intensify symptoms of depression (the latter is true in my case and I have to be extremely cautious in that regard).   

Also, it can affect blood sugar levels and it can trigger migraines (it’s a migraine trigger for me).    

Proper dosage isn't conclusive, and most of the time the smallest dose effective is the one recommended -- cutting back on the dose might allow good sleep results and reduce side-effects.

In general melatonin is not indicated for daily long-term use unless otherwise directed by a professional who knows us.

As an example of some of the cautions by various 

sources:

"...Do not use melatonin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have an autoimmune disorder, a seizure disorder or depression.    Talk to your health care provider if you have diabetes or high blood pressure.     Melatonin supplements may also raise blood-sugar levels and increase blood pressure levels in people taking some hypertension medications. ..."

(hopkinsmedicine.org/health/healthy-sleep/sleep-science/melatonin-for-sleep-does-it-work)

As always, please be cognizant of your own needs and if possible discuss with professionals (pharmacist, physician, nutritionist, etc.) who know your history, sensitivities, and who know you as a unique individual -- those who will be there for you if any problems or concerns arise. 

I, too, struggle with insomnia, and my heart goes out to all who are trying to find good answers.   

Be safe and well, everyone.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Carmie Exactly and that is why I don't take one single thing without the OK or advice from my PCP or my oncologist!

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you for your very thoughtful post and I LOVE your avatar, so cute!

Honored Contributor

I don't use melatonin anymore. I noticed that the day after the day after I took it, I would be in the world's worst mood. Not depressed. Instead, crabby crabby crabby and looking at things very negatively. (yeah yeah I haven't taken it in well over a year so people can save any wisecracks Woman Tongue)

I thought it had to be my imagination until I started tracking it. Like clockwork, the day after the day after I took it, same thing. And I never feel that lousy when I haven't taken melatonin. So no more of that for me.

Supplementwise: I've found that calcium, even just TUMS is calming and so is Relora.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: I MIGHT STOP MELATONIN USE

@Love my grandkids    When I tried Ambien years ago it did the opposite to me and made me awake.  I also tried Melotonin and at first it worked and then stopped.  I don't use either one anymore.  What really knocks me out is one Flexeril when my back is acting up, I take it at bedtime and sleep like a baby.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@dooBdoo Thank you for your very thoughtful post and I LOVE your avatar, so cute!

Thank you, @Love my grandkids!

I really do sympathize with my fellow travelers in this journey to find healing and peaceful sleep, yet I worry about the pitfalls we encounter along the way and wanted to share my experience.

The avatar looks so much like my little kitty, Rosie.  My little gray tuxie.  I had to say goodbye to her last year...  I guess it helps me to keep a wee bit of a memory of her here with the avatar.  She was wonderful.  Magic, really.

I'm glad you like it.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Aw, thank you  for sharing Rosie. It's so hard to lose them, I know. I was born and will always be a cat lover.

Trusted Contributor

My elderly mother tried a very mild dose of melatonin and it caused her to have horrible hallucinations and ringing in the ears after just the first night. We tried it again and same thing. Immediately discontinued it and she was fine. No way would I ever take that stuff!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@dooBdoo Aw, thank you  for sharing Rosie. It's so hard to lose them, I know. I was born and will always be a cat lover.

@Love my grandkids ❤️

Respected Contributor

I'm taking it but at a much lower dose. For me 1.5 mg works best. I split a 3 mg tablet in half.