Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Hi you nice lady you @BalletBabe,

I ain't gonna "slam ya", I will just say that I do not agree with some of your comments that generalize way too much when it comes to doctors.

I am sure you have had your experiences with doctors, as have I. For me it was doctors that saved my life 8 times at last count. Think I'll stick with the ones I have, and have my utmost trust.

Not a "slam". Hey we all are entitled to type our feelings(opinions), right?

hckynut(john)

Hello John  (You nice man)   LOL   I am glad you trust your Dr's.

You have had a lot of illness. but I am a very healthy person.  I was told I had the bones of an 85 year old 17 years ago?   Really?  Kind of odd since I am more active then anyone I know my age.  I started on the bone meds out of trust.  They caused me so much pain, I could hardly get out of bed.   I threw them away.  I refuse any bone density tests since.  I have fallen off the attic steps. out of trees, etc.  Never broke anything.   I found out that these bone meds put a coating on the bone and if you do have a break it is alot worse.  It does nothing to improve the quality of the bone.  I also am very small.  Small people have a lower bone density then larger people.  This is just one of many complaints I have had with Dr's pushing meds on me.

I take vitamins, eat right, and get lots of excercise.  This is just a small example of things that have been pushed at me.  I have lost trust in my Dr.  He is loved by most people but I haven't been able to find anyone better. (which is scary).   Someone told me on facebook to look him in the face and say NO and DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN.  So that is my plan in the future.  

Take Care John and glad you are doing well!  

@BalletBabe

Other than your physical prowess and overall health, I could have written this (and just did a few minutes ago) under "gastro doc visit." 

I can surely empathize.  Some of us just can't take meds, especially the super toxic types.

@LilacTree  Hi Lilac!!!   The problem with Physicals is that leads to tests, the tests lead to medication.   NO thanks.  You should read all the stuff in flu and pneumonia shots---things like Mercury and Aluminum.   Now they want you to have 2 phneumonia shots.  Last one I had my arm swelled so bad, I couldn't lift it to shave or wash.   He told me that was a reaction, really???  Duh   Last time I was in, he said something about me getting the flu and the 2 Pneumonia shots.  I just bit my tongue, but wait till I go back in the fall.   My hubby passed over a yr ago.  He had Phenumonia the August before he passed.  The Dr sent him for this Pneumina vac.  Prevnar 13.  He developed a fever that night and was very sick for weeks.  Never fully recovered.  He passed in March.  How stupid are these Dr's???  I haven't even had a cold in 17 years. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M DONE WITH HUMIRA!!!

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

I ain't gonna "slam ya", I will just say that I do not agree with some of your comments that generalize way too much when it comes to doctors.

I am sure you have had your experiences with doctors, as have I. For me it was doctors that saved my life 8 times at last count. Think I'll stick with the ones I have, and have my utmost trust.

hckynut(john)

You have had a lot of illness. but I am a very healthy person.  I was told I had the bones of an 85 year old 17 years ago?   Really?  Kind of odd since I am more active then anyone I know my age.  I started on the bone meds out of trust.  They caused me so much pain, I could hardly get out of bed.   I threw them away.  I refuse any bone density tests since.  I have fallen off the attic steps. out of trees, etc.  Never broke anything.   I found out that these bone meds put a coating on the bone and if you do have a break it is alot worse.  It does nothing to improve the quality of the bone.  I also am very small.  Small people have a lower bone density then larger people.  This is just one of many complaints I have had with Dr's pushing meds on me.

I take vitamins, eat right, and get lots of excercise.  This is just a small example of things that have been pushed at me.  I have lost trust in my Dr.  He is loved by most people but I haven't been able to find anyone better. (which is scary).   Someone told me on facebook to look him in the face and say NO and DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN.  So that is my plan in the future.  

@BalletBabe

Other than your physical prowess and overall health, I could have written this (and just did a few minutes ago) under "gastro doc visit." 

I can surely empathize.  Some of us just can't take meds, especially the super toxic types.

@LilacTree  Hi Lilac!!!   The problem with Physicals is that leads to tests, the tests lead to medication.   NO thanks.  You should read all the stuff in flu and pneumonia shots---things like Mercury and Aluminum.   Now they want you to have 2 phneumonia shots.  Last one I had my arm swelled so bad, I couldn't lift it to shave or wash.   He told me that was a reaction, really???  Duh   Last time I was in, he said something about me getting the flu and the 2 Pneumonia shots.  I just bit my tongue, but wait till I go back in the fall.   My hubby passed over a yr ago.  He had Phenumonia the August before he passed.  The Dr sent him for this Pneumina vac.  Prevnar 13.  He developed a fever that night and was very sick for weeks.  Never fully recovered.  He passed in March.  How stupid are these Dr's???  I haven't even had a cold in 17 years. 

@BalletBabe

My PCP had her nurse give me the pneumonia shot, apparently not remembering that I have autoimmune diseases and should have never been given the shot (or any other vaccines).  My arm did not swell up, but I was on edge for several weeks waiting for the symptoms to appear.

They did not.  I was very lucky.  They have hundreds of patients who they see every week and I don't expect them to remember everyone's ailments off the top of their heads.  However, before giving a shot they should at least check your chart which is sitting right in front of them on the computer screen.  Mine was also the Prevnar vaccine.

Now that I myself know, it will never happen again.

I am so sorry that your husband wound up dying from pneumonia.  That is a tragedy.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

@BalletBabe

My PCP had her nurse give me the pneumonia shot, apparently not remembering that I have autoimmune diseases and should have never been given the shot (or any other vaccines).  My arm did not swell up, but I was on edge for several weeks waiting for the symptoms to appear.

They did not.  I was very lucky.  They have hundreds of patients who they see every week and I don't expect them to remember everyone's ailments off the top of their heads.  However, before giving a shot they should at least check your chart which is sitting right in front of them on the computer screen.  Mine was also the Prevnar vaccine.

Now that I myself know, it will never happen again.

I am so sorry that your husband wound up dying from pneumonia.  That is a tragedy.

@LilacTree  My hubby had COPD and Emphazema. He would have passed from that eventually but I feel they sped it up by injecting him with that,  

My Dr. knows I had a reaction to both.  He just don't care and that is because they get so many of these and if not given by a certain time, they lose money.  So again money rules.   

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I would discuss this with your doctor and get their opinion on supplements.

As you may know, supplements are not regulated by the FDA, and the potency can vary from brand to brand.

@Plaid Pants2   @nana59

People with chronic illnesses often go through a trial and error phase .....  not every medication works for every person.  For that matter, it's the same problem with makeup, moisturizers, etc etc etc .... one lotion works great for someone and it makes another person break out.   We all know this ... I hope.

As for the thinking that all meds are "toxic" and all supplements are "healthy",  that's just not true.   Anyone can start up their own vitamin and supplement company and never have to deal with the FDA .... well, unless their products kill someone.   

@nana59    I agree with those that think you may need a second (and maybe third) opinion.   Maybe the real problem isn't the meds, but the doctor you've been seeing.   If you have RA, the goal is not just symptom relief, but also to prevent further damage to your joints and organs.   Whatever you do, please don't quit your meds without seeing your doctor .... or a new one.   You can do more harm than good, which I would assume is not your intention.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M DONE WITH HUMIRA!!!

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

I sell medicines, and I somewhat agree with you.  I don't do physicals as I'm sure the Dr.'s would find something "wrong" with me as healthy as I am.  Tests usually lead to medications.  I feel great so I avoid the Dr. unless I am super sick.  I do go to derms for my eczema, but I'm not as concerned about topicals. 

The fewer meds one is on..the better!

So many of my friends went in for physicals, and they automatically were put on medications.  Who knows if they even needed them.  Dr.'s will find something wrong with many of us and try to medicate. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

I sell medicines, and I somewhat agree with you.  I don't do physicals as I'm sure the Dr.'s would find something "wrong" with me as healthy as I am.  Tests usually lead to medications.  I feel great so I avoid the Dr. unless I am super sick.  I do go to derms for my eczema, but I'm not as concerned about topicals. 

So many of my friends went in for physicals, and they automatically were put on medications.  Who knows if they even needed them.  Dr.'s will find something wrong with many of us and try to medicate. 

@winamac1

It's been my observation that we usually agree on most topics, but your comments above shocks me.  

It sounds like even though you are rather well educated on these subjects,  you prefer to keep your head in the sand.  You don't even go for a regular pap smear and the basics?   Certainly you don't have to get a physical every single year ..... but getting even the basic blood work etc every 5 years would be prudent.  I bet your car goes in for "servicing" and oil changes on a regular basis, and, truth be told, if something goes wrong, you can always get another car!   Not so with your body .... it's the only one you get!

If you consider yourself currently healthy, aren't you interested in knowing if there are any significant changes over time?  (Pap smears, cholesterol, other blood tests, hereditary possibilities, etc)  

If you went in for a checkup and, heaven forbid, your MD said you needed to start on some medication, I'm fairly sure you have the background to discuss the pros and cons and make an informed decision ....  more so than most people.    Plus, you seem to know the chemistry involved, and could always research homeopathic options.  (JMO)

I guess my key point here is that there are so many things that sneak up on people, and could be easily dealt with if they were monitoring their health on at least an occasional basis.

Perhaps your best choice is a physician who is also trained in Eastern medical practices.   I'm guessing your decision is based, at least in part, on what you observe with client physicians?

Okay, I'm done.  Please know that I wasn't lecturing you, but comes in part from people I've known who didn't take good care of their health, and developed problems that could have been avoided with regular checkups.    In a couple instances, the outcomes were tragic.       

I'll get off my soap box now.   Hope you aren't offended.   Have a good day!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

@winamac1

It's been my observation that we usually agree on most topics, but your comments above shocks me.  

It sounds like even though you are rather well educated on these subjects,  you prefer to keep your head in the sand.  You don't even go for a regular pap smear and the basics?   Certainly you don't have to get a physical every single year ..... but getting even the basic blood work etc every 5 years would be prudent.  I bet your car goes in for "servicing" and oil changes on a regular basis, and, truth be told, if something goes wrong, you can always get another car!   Not so with your body .... it's the only one you get!

If you consider yourself currently healthy, aren't you interested in knowing if there are any significant changes over time?  (Pap smears, cholesterol, other blood tests, hereditary possibilities, etc)  

If you went in for a checkup and, heaven forbid, your MD said you needed to start on some medication, I'm fairly sure you have the background to discuss the pros and cons and make an informed decision ....  more so than most people.    Plus, you seem to know the chemistry involved, and could always research homeopathic options.  (JMO)

I guess my key point here is that there are so many things that sneak up on people, and could be easily dealt with if they were monitoring their health on at least an occasional basis.

Perhaps your best choice is a physician who is also trained in Eastern medical practices.   I'm guessing your decision is based, at least in part, on what you observe with client physicians?

Okay, I'm done.  Please know that I wasn't lecturing you, but comes in part from people I've known who didn't take good care of their health, and developed problems that could have been avoided with regular checkups.    In a couple instances, the outcomes were tragic.       

I do get pap smears.  I do have breast exams.  I do not get physicals. 

I am rarely sick and don't look for Dr.'s to find something "wrong" with me.  If it aint broke, do not fix it.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

@winamac1

I am rarely sick and don't look for Dr.'s to find something "wrong" with me.  If it aint broke, do not fix it.

@winamac1  How do you get a breast exam without a physical?  I havn't had an actual physical for eons, but do have my blood panel run every year, and new doc wants to do a physical.  Aside from a pap and breast exam, don't know what else there is to a physical. The blood tests say it all in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@BalletBabe

@winamac1

@winamac1  How do you get a breast exam without a physical?  I havn't had an actual physical for eons, but do have my blood panel run every year, and new doc wants to do a physical.  Aside from a pap and breast exam, don't know what else there is to a physical. The blood tests say it all in my opinion.

They just do the breast exam and pap.  I have had blood work done in the past to check vitamin D , etc. levels.  I've never had a physical.

Valued Contributor

I would talk to your doctor but don't expect him or her to say to take some of the more natural things like cherry extract they will claim it does not work.  I don't see a big downside to trying a few things to see if they work.  Glucosamin and chondrotin, even doctors say try it and I can't see why they would be against sour cherry juice or extract.  many get relief from tumeric.  Problem is some of these things can interact with other medications such as blood thinners etc.