Honored Contributor

Re: I Finally Got My Covid Test

[ Edited ]

OP, why did you get a test? You said that you don't go anywhere so how did you qualify in getting a test? Isn't that wasting a much needed test that could have helped someone that had symtoms? I thought they only gave test to those who have symptoms. Bragging rights I suppose.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, why did you get a test? You said that you don't go anywhere so how did you qualify in getting a test? Isn't that wasting a much needed test that could have helped someone that had symtoms? I thought they only gave test to those who have symptoms. Bragging rights I suppose.

Not every locale requires a reason to "qualify " to be tested. The idea is to test as many people as possible so that ones who are asymptomatic but test positive can be isolated. Getting tested and coming out negative may not be a surprise, but it adds to statistics that help authorities evaluate risks and spread at that time. 

In NY the test is free and very available. The reason it is perceived as difficult to get elsewhere is that places in some states are seeing a surge in cases that left them in high demand with not enough facilities and test supplies in hand. Poor planning and complacency made testing become a logistical problem when a surge of sickness and symptoms appeared.  Taking a test in places that are prepared doesn't make it worse in places unprepared. 

It's the lack of consistent policy that has caused extreme demands on the testing facilities. No one takes a test to have "bragging rights". No one taking a test is denying anyone else the ability to be tested. @ID2 , your understanding is considerably myopic. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LexaMom  I do not believe that I have been exposed, but Delaware is urging all residents to get tested and has made it very easy to get tested.  Testing here has been going on for weeks, but this is the first site that was close to where I live.  About 10 days ago, I was at a high school graduation party in another state, so I wanted to make sure.  Not everyone who has Covid has symptoms.  If it was found that I was asymptomatic but a carrier, I would take extra precautions so that no one would be exposed to it from me.

And, to respond to someone else, it is not bragging rights.  In our country right now, more people are being exposed, especially from those under the age of 25.  I work out at the Y almost daily, no masks are worn during workouts, and no one should take anything for granted.  I feel fortunate that our governor wants everyone to be tested.  By now, after two months or more of testing, I feel confident that I am not taking a test away from someone else.  However, I am over 60 with autoimmune disease, so when the opportunity arose that I could conveniently get the test, I did just that.  I do not apologize for that and I am not bragging.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I've been so fortunate, my health is fragile but so far this year I've been healthy on every front.   

My first routine doctor visits since the outbreak  are in July. 

I hope they don't make me take the test, I don't need it.

My doctor is conservative but sensible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 

I am not the OP, but I wanted to respond to your question since DH & I got tested even though we had no symptoms. 

At first, because of limited testing supplies, my state only allowed people with symptoms, those at extreme risk, and health care workers to get tested. Then as we gradually reopened, employees returning to work were getting tested. About a month ago testing was opened to all citizens.

Even though my risk factors qualified me for early testing, since I stayed at home during those months & had no symptoms, I felt ok waiting to get tested at a later date. I wanted others who needed to be out doing their jobs to get tested first.

Our governor is asking all citizens to get tested now. There are enough testing supplies for everyone. We are also asked to retest whenever we feel we may have been exposed to the virus.

The reason as many people as possible should get tested is because the virus spreads very easily from person to person. Even if you have no symptoms you could be positive & pass it someone else. This is also why wearing masks when out is important. 

Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

Does it hurt? 

@cbrite 

I would not say the test hurt. It was a bit uncomfortable.

In my case it was a nasal swab test. Here’s what happened. With your head slightly tilted back the long swab is inserted into the nostril angled toward the ear on the same side as the nostril being tested. (Swab in left nostril angled toward left ear.) It is inserted until it can’t be inserted any further so you feel a bit of pressure. The swab is turned a few times & held in place for a few seconds before it is removed. Repeated for other nostril. Place swab in vial and seal. 

Honored Contributor

The test result is nothing but a snapshot in time for anybody that has any contact with other people at all not just health care providers.  And antibody testing doesn't prove anything except whether you have had the virus in your system.  It doesn't currently indicate any level of protection.  Therefore, I see no reason to take either.  If I knew I was going somewhere to be with someone particularly susceptible I would take the test and then take the necessary precautions, but otherwise no.

Esteemed Contributor

@wilmaMine was a swab test and when I was handed the packet with instructions, the EMT still walked me through the entire one minute process.  What I had to do was cough into my mask 5 times, remove the mask, take the swab out of the vial without touching the tip, swap my mouth, including gums and tongue for at least 20 seconds (like brushing your teeth), put the swab back in the container, close the cap, seal the bag, and drop it off.  Results in less than 48 hours.  Not uncomfortable at all.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The test result is nothing but a snapshot in time for anybody that has any contact with other people at all not just health care providers.  And antibody testing doesn't prove anything except whether you have had the virus in your system.  It doesn't currently indicate any level of protection.  Therefore, I see no reason to take either.  If I knew I was going somewhere to be with someone particularly susceptible I would take the test and then take the necessary precautions, but otherwise no.

@Icegoddess 

True. Test results are a snapshot in time, and a test doesn’t offer you protection. It does, however, help the medical professionals track the disease spread & help your community. 

Testing the population repeatedly helps us know who’s infected. Contact tracing notifies those you might have exposed, and then they should get tested. Positive individuals, whether they have symptoms or not, can then self quarantine to prevent them from spreading it to others. 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

In Michigan they have quite a few test sites for asymptomatic people...if you are over 65 or in a high risk category especially. I don't think there is a shortage of test supplies anymore.