Esteemed Contributor

I Finally Drove Today After Knee Surgery.

Since there was no snow or ice to fight getting to the car I drove today for the 1st time in almost 2 months.

Used my cane getting to the car and went about 10 miles.  The knee was fine, a little sore afterward but nothing awful.

I have a Dr. appt. Wed. and figured I better make sure I could get myself there.

It's good to know I am mobile again.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Finally Drove Today After Knee Surgery.

I was delighted when I could drive myself again.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's so freeing isn't it? I was so happy I could drive because then I could make my therapy appointments when I wanted them which was in the morning instead of waiting until later afternoon so my husband could drive me. I also could go out shopping just to get out of the house.

Respected Contributor

How wonderful!

Honored Contributor

My wife also started driving again about 2 weeks ago. She was/is happy, and me even moreso. Was/is nice not to be driving everywhere, she likes being on the go doing shopping and just being out. I prefer just going out when necessary. I am happy for both of us.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  So glad your wife is doing well and able to drive again.  I don't go much but at least I have the option now.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't allowed to drive for 8 weeks after I got out of the hospital following a stroke. It isn't like I go that many places, but it was just the feeling of having the freedom to do so when I wanted. I had to depend on others which I didn't like having to do during that time period.

@CrazyKittyLvr2, glad to hear to are able to drive now. 

Honored Contributor

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN 

Hello @RetRN ,

My wife had a stroke towards the end of December in 2013. Was in the hospital for 8 days. During that time she was going to the PT department twice a day for Physical and Occupational Therapy.

After coming home I was taking her to both of those Therapies 3 times a week. Was reduced to twice a week and then once a week, during which she had to pass a Simulated Drivers Test. It was a machine that resembled a car seat/steering wheel and both pedals. 

She had to pass this test before her doctor would give her the ok to drive again. Think she ended up taking this twice before she got the go ahead. Her stroke effected the left side of her body, both upper and lower. She could always walk, but needed a lot of Balance PT. Also weak in her left arm and hand.

Seems like I was her chauffeur longer from her stroke than for her recent knee replacement. Fortunately I wasn't in the hospital that year until Spring, again with my oft bleeding right colon. We seem to fortunately stagger her many surgeries and stroke from my medical issues, so we switched being care takers. I however was always able to drive when not hospitalized.

Hope you have recovered as much as possible from your stroke. My best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I had tendon surgery late November.  The incision runs about 10 inches up my calf from my heel.   So, I have been non weight bearing since.  Tried to use a knee scooter but I was clumsey.  Resorted to a desk chair on wheels to get around my house (tile floors).  Needless to say, I have not been able to drive.  My groceries are delivered, I pay someone to take me to the doctor.  I am saying all this because I had no earthly idea how much indepence we can lose when something like this happens.  I thought I had planned for it, but the list of cant do's just kept rippling out.  And I greatly admire those people in wheelchairs as they navigate their lives.  Tomorrow I am supposed to be weight bearing, per doctor, but cant drive for another few weeks.  I am thrilled, excited and scared.

So, Retired Legal Secretary, drive a few feet for me too.  I will be thinking of you!  You can do it!