Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I Can't Shake This Fatigue

I learned there are tests that are not commonly done by a primary care doctor, for thyroid. They don't commonly do the testing for Hashimoto's. Would it save time and money to just go directly to an endocrinologist? He or she could also do a diabetes or adrenal tests and levels of folate and other B vitamins and check my D levels. My primary care doctor had me on much lower D levels than what is recommended now. I am not sleepy, by the way. There are many more causes of fatigue. What happens to me, is that I start to do a chore and I have about five minutes of stamina and then I stop, and sit down. If I am doing a chore, sitting down, I can work on it longer. I have absolutely no energy. I am not grocery shopping, am barely cleaning house, don't feel up to getting dressed and going anywhere, because I am too tired, but not sleepy. Coffee helps me a little. I have no stamina to keep at any project. I feel like I have won a gold medal in the Olympics, if I manage to make dinner.

Super Contributor

I have not read the posts but I hope they don't contain bashing like I always get by them saying GO TO A DOCTOR THIS IS A SHOPPING BOARD...........I would try some Royal Jelly, I would try some coffee no more than 2 cups and I would try and exercise even if I did not feel like it and try and get more sleep but you may need blood work done......you may be anemic or low on iron...........I hope you get to feeling your very best very soon. Please keep us posted.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds like you might have much faith in your primary care physician, but I think an internist is the best starting place. It's quite possible your fatigue has nothing to do with your endocrine system. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and you do have some of those symptoms, but it's only a guessing game until you have some diagnostic testing.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

I take Vitamin D, 4000 IU as per my doctor and it's cut down on my fatigue.
Super Contributor

That is correct vitamin D levels could be low but they can only tell by blood work.

Frequent Contributor

My first suggestion to every woman I know is; Get your thyroid checked!

Hyperactive/hypoactive thyroid is extremely common along with other issues that can arise like Graves Disease and Hashimoto disease. Do a google search for hypoactive thyroid or Hashimoto Disease and see if you fit any of the symptoms. I found out I not only had nodules that had to be removed from my thyroid but also was diagnosed with Graves Disease just by accident. Very simple blood test to check your t levels, yet very important since your thyroid controls heart rate, tempurature, metabolism, almost eveything in your body.

Honored Contributor

are you taking any prescription meds? I had extreme fatigue after dr. switched my BP meds; the labels on both of them say "may cause extreme fatigue and drowsiness".....it was so bad he switched me back to my previous one....if you are on meds, for anything, check the info that comes with them or call your pharmacist or dr to find out.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/21/2014 twopeas said:
On 9/21/2014 Matty6 said:

You rather come here and have a question and answer with people on this thread you started?Everyone is different and you should go to a doctor. No one here is qualified to give out medical advice. {#emotions_dlg.lol} What is good for someone else might not be good for you!

I sincerely doubt anyone comes here for medical advice. Sometimes people wish to toss things around and get different opinions or past experiences. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Whatever! Sounds like they are posting about there experiences, all I said was everyone is different and what works for one does not work for another.

Honored Contributor

First the reason for the fatigue has to be figured out by a Doctor, then maybe some suggestions on how said diagnosis was treated for others with same diagnosis ... simple as that in my book.. Like my fibromyalgia, until after I read about it and was diagnosed, now I read about what works and doesn't work for others.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

9/20/2014 Persephonel said: Try fasting for a few days on juice or vegetable juice.

Do not take this advice... very dangerous. This is exactly what I have been saying.. Everyone thinks they are a doctor. See a doctor and start with a full exam and blood tests. Tiredness can be many things. Good luck to you!