Trusted Contributor

Hysterectomy coming up---can use advice

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in May. I understand this is the most performed operation of all. First I have to have a urine test which I am dreading. I don't know anyone who has had either of these procedures and admit I am a bit hesitant. Any supportive been there---done that ladies?

Honored Contributor

Re: Hysterectomy coming up---can use advice

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was in my late 50's and had no problems.  They just didn't want me to drive (hard brakeing) and I couldn't pick up anything heavier than a bottle of milk.  I only had a small incision.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee - what kind of urine test????  I’m confused 

anyway, I had a hysterectomy, ovaries and all, 23 years ago, at age 40. I had a really easy recovery and no pain. The day of my surgery, I was almost excited, instead of nervous.  I was so ready for my problems to be over.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee  I would think the urine test may be standard for everyone. They need to make sure you are not pregnant.(no matter the age)  Not a problem to tinkle in a cup.

Esteemed Contributor

Age 48. Endometriosis. After the surgery I was so weak, but as days passed and I followed doctor's orders, I felt better than I had in years. Trusting you'll be fine and also feel better than you have in a long time.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My daughter had one at 44. Her Dr. did it with robotics and it was through the bellly button with a couple of small incisions on ether side. Was home the next day. Had no problems and said it was the best thing ever.

The only urine test I know of is peeing in a cup.

Honored Contributor

My DD (36) is having a complete hysterectomy on April 10th. She's already had both fallopian tubes removed.

Her Dr. plans to do hers vaginally, with no incision.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please be sure to ask your doctor/surgeon/nurse for any additional information/clarification you may need regarding any testing/procedures/recovery.  You are your own best advocate.  Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I had a complete hysterectomy about 20 years ago.  I had endometriosis, and it was wonderful to not have that anymore.  It took me a week or two to completely recover, but I was fine.

I don't understand dreading the urine test.  Is it something besides just peeing in a cup?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I had one about 15 years ago. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at all.