Honored Contributor

I think i have pulled something in my left leg, no not been to doctor, but my question, what over the counter pain med ,advil ,aleve,or what would help,having a problem getting around ,not good ,cause i have clancy ,new pup.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

I use Aleve, recommend by physical therapist when I had knee replacements.  Hope it works for you.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbes Hope it's not serious.  I have done weird things hurting myself and often the next day all pain is gone.  However maybe you can ice the area, keep your leg elevated when you can, take an aspirin (or something like it) to bring down any swelling or inflamation and call the doctor tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Ice feels good and will help if there is any swelling.  If there is no swelling just Tylenol or your OTC pain relief of choice should be sufficient.  If the pain persists, of course, you should seek medical advice. 

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest Aleve will help with pain and swelling. A word of caution: Do not take on an empty stomach. Take with food.

Hopefully, the problem will diminish on its own. Tell Clancy you hurt your leg and need his help. He may surprise you, or not. Worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest     keep an eye on your leg for any bruising or lump in the area to rule out Thrombosis... or a blood clot...

Honored Contributor

Aleve has never really helped me too much. I like Tylenol Arthritis Strength.  But Aleve and Ibu are better for inflammation

Honored Contributor

Re: Hurt my leg

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

Do you want to be more specific about the exact part of your left leg. A joint issue is much different than a connective tissue or soft tissue problem. A nerve issue can also be a be the culprit. At times it could be a bruise of the soft tissue, or even a deep bone bruise.

Most of them respond to ice and elevation to curtail the swelling. It never hurts to take an anti-inflammatory, unless like myself, for a medical or other reasons, you cannot do so.

There are different types of nerve injuries. If it is what athletes refer to as "a stinger". A bad movement or momentary misalignment of a joint can cause these. They are generally a short term sensation, which for many that have them, disappear in minutes. There are at times some residual slight discomfort after these specific injuries.

As @SeaMaiden mentioned, it could be a type of DVT, which are much more serious and could lead to a dangerous situation. These generally are palpable and the area can turn red.

Having suffered from all the things I mentioned above, much of the time though the hurt like he!!, they are not the real serious types of disabling injuries some might jump to conclude.

Of course your doctor would be the one to find the exact source. What I mention above are not to be construed as advice, they  things I know from my own personal injuries and backgrounds in physiology.

Best to you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest     keep an eye on your leg for any bruising or lump in the area to rule out Thrombosis... or a blood clot...

@SeaMaiden @goldensrbest - that's what I was going to post and then I saw this reply.

Where on your leg does it hurt?  I got a pain, out of nowhere, in my left leg in February.  Felt like a cramp and it happened when I was getting in my car.  It went away very quickly.  It happened again the next morning, again, getting in my car and I called the orthopedist as it didn't go away.  I went in that afternoon for that and some hip pain (unrelated).  I told them that I'd had clots back in 2012. The PA was like nah, no blood clot.  I said "I wouldn't be so sure". Anyway, while they were x-raying my hip,they pulled my old file and when I got back to the exam room she said how about we send you for an ultrasound?  Good idea, as I was going to insist on it.

A place up the street got me in right then and, yep, blood clots.  Off to the hospital I went for 3 nights.  And I'm still on the Xarelto (hopefully only to late February). 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Back of my knee,inside of my knee, i have been going up and down stairs,since getting clancy ,my pup,feels like i pulled something.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.