Honored Contributor

Humana All It's Cracked Up to Be?

I posted this on another board and want to see what you think.

My sister uses Humana, which she says doesn't cost her anything, no premium.

She goes to the doctor....paid. She goes to the hospital....paid. She goes to emergency....paid. Now, this was some years ago when she told me about it. I don't know if they still pay everything. But I do know she said it did not cost her anything.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about Medicare and various plans to know what to ask, but it sounds too good to be true that Humana doesn't charge you a monthly fee, but still pays everything for you. Not sure about prescriptions though. Assume the government (us) then pay for it. Someone has to.

I'm still working, but thinking of retiring soon, so I guess I want to see if Humana is as good as she makes it sound.

Thanks for any input you may have about the various plans out there, and in particular Humana.

Deadline is December 9, I think I read; or perhaps it is already over.

Honored Contributor

Re: Humana All It's Cracked Up to Be?

I have a no-cost Advantage plan, w/drug coverage, through United Healthcare for my Medicare coverage. But I still have to pay co-pays and deductibles.

Honored Contributor

I have Humana through my employer (not Medicare) and I have zero deductible so it's not a lie. I just went to the doctor for annual visit and it cost me nothing. I can confirm they do have a plan like that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it were that fantastic I would think everyone would sign up for it. Heck, who wouldn't want free healthcare?

Sounds like an outstanding plan that all retirees should get on board for. 

Valued Contributor

I have had Humana since I retired and love it. I had a TKR and never had to pay one cent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

During my 1st year on Medicare, 2017, I had Humana's prescription drug plan. I couldn't switch off it fast enough in 2018 and swore I would never deal with Humana again for anything. Their customer service is the worst CS I've ever had anywhere. They are overseas, I couldn't understand them and they didn't understand my questions, long hold times only to be cut off before getting to someone, etc. Completely frustrating and I have avoided Humana ever since.

@World Traveler 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wellness checks cost nothing in our plan. Even expensive bloodwork and routine tests like mamograms and colonoscopys are 100% covered if routine checkup. Also I have Aetna through my employere and hubs has Highmark Blue medicare advantage plan.

Esteemed Contributor

I only had part D and   it!  When I first signed up they told me I would never Pay more than $12,00 per prescription, Lies. In the year I have had it not one of my prescriptions has been $12,99 the first month the first prescription was $250,00 and My Insulin went up every time I refilled it, the last time it was well over $150,00 and they stopped covering the needles, the test strips!  They called every day staring at 8:00 am and not  until 10:00 pm.  They insisted I let them into my home so they could check if my home was safe, I was only on part D< i refused to let them in!  They questioned my doctor constantly and recommended I see one of their nurses? When I was in rehab Humana always was the first to kick out patients even when it was advised against it?  Humana sent me a letter saying that they were no longer offering my coverage   start of the  the new year.  Yet,  they continue to call, and sending me mail almost every day, asking me to reconsider signing up with them again?  They always questioned what my husbans hours were when they were asing to come to our home?  And yes, I told them to stop calling, I had to block them and they would just call from another number/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responses. Like many things, there are opposing thoughts on it.

I just emailed someone who works in a Washington state clinic, asking her thoughts on Medicare plans, no-cost plans etc. She said that at their clinic they deal a lot with Medicare Advantage plans and with Humana and Kaiser. She also said people seemed to be pleased with those plans, and that all three have a good reputation in her medical area of the state.

Evidently there is a company called Vibrant in Washington who meets with people for free consultations on what type of plan is best for them. Perhaps that company is also in other states.

Honored Contributor

I currently have an Advantage Plan where I never pay a penny for medical services through United Health.  Up until two years ago my group had Humana with the same coverage.

My problem with Humana was that for some reason, they have a terrible reputation with doctors.  I had two that I really needed who refused to take it, plus one hospital.  There's a lot of prejudice against this company.  It was a relief when we changed carriers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment