Honored Contributor

Re: Huge recall of Jif Peanut Butter products

@shoesnbags wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@shoesnbags- I'm not sure, but I was afraid that it wasn't totally clear and took me a bit to figure out WHICH number they were talking about.

At first, I had scrolled down to find 'Jif Creamy 28oz' and saw one thing, then I realized it's those numbers I bolded and show on my jar, just below bb.

Sorry if I made it confusing.   Smiley Embarassed

@chickenbutt 

You didn't make it confusing at all!  The official recall notice is confusing because the chart shows one thing and the wording says another.  You did us all a favor by notifying us, and I sincerely thank you for that.  You'd think this would be publicized more, given how popular peanut butter is.

@shoesnbags  Thanks!  That's very kind.   I was also confused when I first saw it.  I thought those numbers alongside each variety was the number at first and that didn't make sense. 

Then I read it again and it dawned on me what numbers they were referencing.  d'oh!  Smiley Very Happy

I agree with you that peanut butter is a popular item and I was shocked this morning when I saw this (on another board to which I've belonged for a long, long time) and felt I needed to share it here if nobody yet had.

I can't even remember if I have had salmonella at any point in my life, but I do have a feeling that it's very much NOT fun!   

I realize that I have one larger jar that I got earlier on.  It's one of those GIF/JIF special edition jars they sold a short while back.  I've had it in a cool place, in a L&L container and I pulled it out.  It has a best by date of 1/2022, but it seems fine so I think I'll not worry about getting more yet and use that one.  Unless it looked weird, smelled weird, or tasted weird, I cannot imagine anything is wrong with it.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags @Lot code is different than the UPC code. 425 is the affected lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D 

Oh, I know.  That's why I thought it was confusing for the chart to show UPC codes instead of the lot codes that we were supposed to be checking.  BTW I always appreciate the way you are on top of these things and let us know about other recalls.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Didnt we go through the same thing several years ago?

It seems to be an everyday thing now.  

Valued Contributor

Thank God!  I have a 2 pack of 48 oz,creamy that I have just opened and would have 

gone ballistic if I had to throw it away!  I just tossed close to 7.5 lbs of ground beef last month because I couldn't trace the lot numbers so I had to be safe.

My Jif is not on the list so I an good---but telling people to dispose of food immediately 

and not offering replacement or refund is ridiculous.  Especially in this time of runaway inflation!  The hamburg was close to $30.00 and the Jif would have been $8.00

That hurts when you are on a limited income!

Respected Contributor

Just my anxious mind but if it were me I would dispose of any jar of Jiffy I had and not depend on lot numbers.  No point in taking chances and I would feel much better not eating any Jiffy for awhile.  If I ate any I would worry and look for issues to appear whether they did or not.

Honored Contributor

I just saw this recall notice online earlier today.

I had just bought a twin pack of the crunchy PB from BJs and sure enough, it's in the lots affected.  So back it goes for a refund (no way do I throw out recalled items and lose money).

And I've got about a tablespoon left in my current jar and would've been opening these in the next few days!  I eat PB at least a few times a week and Jif is the only brand I buy.  I've never known Jif to be subject to a recall.  Rats!

Respected Contributor

I actually got a call (recorded) message from Costco about the JIF I purchased there.  Wish my Costco sold Skippy but they only sell JIF.  Now to check the numbers that are contaminated.

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D 

Oh, I know.  That's why I thought it was confusing for the chart to show UPC codes instead of the lot codes that we were supposed to be checking.  BTW I always appreciate the way you are on top of these things and let us know about other recalls.

@shoesnbags @Mindy D

I just got back from Walmart.  Returned my Jif peanut butter.  The shelves were completely empty.  Apparently they recalled all....regardless of lot or UPC codes.  I then went to Weis  grocery store.  Same thing.   To be safe....I would suggest returning any that you might have.  I did not have a receipt but received cash back.  Purchased the Smuckers as a backup.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a Skippy eater too.    But, now I am wondering about the Smuckers preserves I have in my pantry.   They said Jif and Smuckers are the same company.   Hopefully, it's just the peanut butter at issue.

How do you get the picture to put in your post?   I copy pictures and when I right click to paste, I don't get a paste command.