Honored Contributor

Re: Howard Stern has Lyme Disease ... see what he says about it

On 2/13/2015 gabstoomuch said:

The saddest part about Lyme not being recognized (unless you have lots of money to pay cash doctors), is that treatment IS available, and it does work. Alec Baldwin has the money, as does Yolanda Foster etc. (and prob Daryl Hall). Yolanda has been all over the world being treated, she has not conquered it yet, but she has a better 'treatment choice' than everyday people.

It is the lower income people that are suffering. It angers me that treatment is not available for everyone who is in need. Not how our medical care used to be. LLMD's now have to hide and require cash and they will make you better. That is just crazy!

The sicker one is, the longer it takes to get it under control. The antibiotics usually end up going in by IV (home care IV) to get them to cross the brain barrier. It is time consuming and very costly, but I know people who are so very sick (as is Ford's daughter) and it seems care should be available for all. Yet again, big pharma is running the show.

It truly does feel like the early days of AIDS, where every person had to hide and be treated secretly. Now, years later, it is the most treatable disease. No one has to die from it any more.

I pray the Lyme Drs. can come into the light real soon. It is not like they are at ground zero and totally befuddled over treatment. Some Drs. (and hopefully more, very soon) know the antibiotic regiment that Lyme needs.

It is a bacteria, sometimes many kinds of bacteria, that can replicate faster than a rabbit. Once you can figure out what "bug" is making you sick, the easier it is to treat. Other bacteria sometimes show up after the most plentiful are killed off, and then the next level of bacteria may need a different antibiotic. Most likely why Yolanda has had a relapse. Sometimes there are multiple bacteria breeding.

Ford, your daughter is very blessed to have you be in support of her, loving her through this nightmare. I hope she find care soon.

Thank you so much. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2015 Midnight Shadow said:

Ford1224

I'm so very sorry to hear about your daughter. You definitely have a right to your frustration, and I agree with you.

I just wanted to mention to everyone that it is very important to save and preserve the tick if you can, and bring it in to your doctor immediately. Don't let them make you wait a week. If there is any delay, just walk in and demand they at least look at the tick.

I found two ticks on me last summer. YUCK! Both times I took a small glass container (makeup sample size) put 1/2 a cotton square in it and then put the tick inside and covered the tick with several (4-5 or more) drops of mineral oil as suggested. The mineral oil preserves the tick so it won't dry out. They were very small, but I still wasn't sure if the were deer ticks or not. Bringing them in confirmed that they were in fact deer t's. They gave me a test and I was put on antibiotics for a month both times, even w/the tests for Lyme's not showing yet at the time.

I did have the red markings w/one of them and not the other on my skin. We live way up North so their everywhere. My doctor said that they give antibiotics to everyone that has been bitten by any type of tick period, be it deer or not as they ALL carry nasty diseases, with the deer tick being the one that carries Lyme's. Scary thing is, even with taking antibiotics, they don't always address the problem w/Lyme's. In other words, there really isn't a sure fired cure.

I did have some symptoms w/joint pain, headaches, nausea and other's. I was told that it could take several months, a year or longer before any major complications could come up, and to always have it on my medical information card that I was diagnosed with having been bitten by a deer tick. It seems like the majority of the doctor's in our area are open to the fact that Lyme's disease is real because of more and more being diagnosed up here in the Northern area. (Lake Superior/Wisconsin/MI and surrounding.) However, there are also a lot of physicians, insurance and other's all over the globe that are unfortunately putting blinders on not wanting to Deal with it, and that should anger everyone.

My best to both you and especially your daughter and other's who are suffering w/this horrible illness.

Thank you DooBoo for the PLM site you gave.

MidnightShadowCool

My daughter got bitten years ago, she thinks in her teens. She was treated once with antibiotics and it seemed to cure it. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. It can come back and cause relapses and each time it's worse. It is very insidious what this tiny, barely visible insect can do. Like viruses, which can only be seen through a microscope.

I have a whole philosophy about that . . . but I will wait for a better time.

You've got it right. Thank you for your kind words. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2015 adelle38 said:
On 2/13/2015 January121 said: I don't think Howard Stern has Lyme disease .... the OP is misleading the people in this forum!!

She made a correction in several places. She wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

Thank you adelle38.

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

On 2/13/2015 adelle38 said:
On 2/13/2015 January121 said: I don't think Howard Stern has Lyme disease .... the OP is misleading the people in this forum!!

She made a correction in several places. She wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

Bears repeating. Thanks for the thread Ford, I didn't know all this about Lymes. So sorry about your DD's struggles.

Esteemed Contributor

If anyone can see the tick on the skin- it's most likely not a lyme tick. They're the size of a pin head- incredibly small. As I mentioned before, my sister is an MD that specializes in lyme. With testing early on there are many false positives and false negatives- you need to be tested several times over a period time for a true diagnosis. Some drs prescribe anti biotics without having a firm grip on the diagnosis.

Frequent Contributor

I could write a book in chronic lyme, my neice has had it for 6 years now. She was diagnosed with pots, chronic fatigue and fybromlagia. Those turned out to be lyme. The test the CDC gives people, is so totally off that is why it goes undiagnosed in most people for so long. You don't have to live in a wooded area to get lyme, it is in backyards, in every and in every state. Also not only ticks carry it, my neice was bit by a deer fly and that is how she got it. Anything that can bite a deer can carry lyme...fleas, ticks, deer flies etc. It is a horrible disease that will mask, ms, lupus, arthritis etc etc. My heart goes out to everyone who has this. the video that someone mentioned' under our skin' is a good place to start for people to understand lyme.
Frequent Contributor

On 2/14/2015 ibb38 said:

If anyone can see the tick on the skin- it's most likely not a lyme tick. They're the size of a pin head- incredibly small. As I mentioned before, my sister is an MD that specializes in lyme. With testing early on there are many false positives and false negatives- you need to be tested several times over a period time for a true diagnosis. Some drs prescribe anti biotics without having a firm grip on the diagnosis.

Is your sister a lyme literate doctor? You most certainly can get lyme from a larger tick, not just the nymphs. The western blot test is the most accurate. But also very expensive. The CDC needs 4 bands to show on their test in order form them to confirm lyme. They are dead wrong...if you have 1 band, you have it, some people will show no bands. It just confirms how off and pathetic the CDC tests are.
Honored Contributor

I asked my daughter exactly what she is diagnosed with. It's Borreliosis Bergdorferi and it's neural, so it's Lyme in her brain and her nervous system. She is still on the doxycycline.

She said there are many forms of babosis (another bacteria from the ticks) and one can only be tested for two at a time. She tested negative for the two she was tested for. She doesn't know whether she will be tested for the other forms. She said she doesn't want to know, because if she has three, it's all over for her ever getting better since she's had it so long it will have infiltrated every part of her body.

I don't know if I wanted to hear this, but I have now heard it.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 2/14/2015 bullyluv said: I could write a book in chronic lyme, my neice has had it for 6 years now. She was diagnosed with pots, chronic fatigue and fybromlagia. Those turned out to be lyme. The test the CDC gives people, is so totally off that is why it goes undiagnosed in most people for so long. You don't have to live in a wooded area to get lyme, it is in backyards, in every and in every state. Also not only ticks carry it, my neice was bit by a deer fly and that is how she got it. Anything that can bite a deer can carry lyme...fleas, ticks, deer flies etc. It is a horrible disease that will mask, ms, lupus, arthritis etc etc. My heart goes out to everyone who has this. the video that someone mentioned' under our skin' is a good place to start for people to understand lyme.

All accurate and true. I couldn't write the book, but my daughter sure could.

Formerly Ford1224