Honored Contributor

Re: How would you shop for crutches

Often medical supply stores will deliver and fit equipment but you'll probably need a doctor's prescription.   When I need something like that, my doctor's office makes all the arrangements.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

And be sure they are the right size.  A good surgical supply house knows how to size crutches.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help...goodwill had them.I will have to remember to check them more often for stuff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just ordered mine online. I would check Good Will  first as I see them there all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Often medical supply stores will deliver and fit equipment but you'll probably need a doctor's prescription.   When I need something like that, my doctor's office makes all the arrangements.

@Kachina624

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but why would you need a doctor's prescription?   It's not like they are a controlled substance or anything ... lol.

Honored Contributor

When my youngest daughter fractured her foot, she left the ER on crutches.  A nurse adjusted the crutches and made sure my daughter was able to walk with them before discharge.   Her health insurance covered the cost of the crutches.   If your son has insurance, I would suggest you call to see if this is a covered benefit before you pay for anything out of pocket.   If they are covered, get a prescription from the doctor, and go to a medical

supply company to get the crutches.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but why would you need a doctor's prescription?   It's not like they are a controlled substance or anything ... lol.

You need a doctor's "order" for the medical items to be paid for by insurance.    Thrift stores have plenty of medical supplies, though.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

To assure they're the correct type of device and they're fitted correctly.  Did you know you also need a prescription for oxygen...and it's free?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

If you go to one of the medical stores they will fit them for you and a lot of times insurance will pay most or part of them.

Respected Contributor

Make sure your son supports his weight by his arms.  He should not rest his armpits on the crutches.  Also, if the crutches are from Goodwill, check them carefully for sturdiness.  Also the tips will most likely be worn or hard, and they can easily slip, especially in any wet or sandy area. This has happened to me.  You can get new tips from a medical supply.  Seriously, get new tips. It will make a big difference.