Contributor

Re: How urgent is your Urgent Care?

Is it closed due to staffing shortages?  This happens in our area.

Honored Contributor

Many urgent care facilites within two miles, I only go to the ER for real emergencies like a broken hip 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A hospital with an ER is closer to me than any of the doc-in-a-box facilities. 

@SilleeMee 

Same for me as far as distance, it is in a building connected to my hospital. Seems like almost all of my Urgent Care issues end as an In-patient. My last was via Rescue Unit.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Ours has been temporarily closed since before Christmas. When I went into the building yesterday I asked, "When is that sign going to be changed to permanently?" The lady laughed and said, "You are the first person to ask that but we are all saying the same thing." They can't find staff. The waits in the E.R.s are terrible and what you see while waiting is disgusting and pitiful.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We have one about a 10 minute walk from us that is open 7 days until 8 pm.  

Any time I've had to use Urgent Care (very few), I haven't felt well enough to walk 10 min. to get there!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

The Urgent Cares in our area started out as being owned by doctors and slowly they are being bought by the hospital health care systems.

Honored Contributor

@We rescue cats wrote:

We have 2 hospitals nearby, the closest is awful for ER care,  waiting times are 5+ hours, people sleeping on gurneys in the hallways, etc. Terrible because they are so understaffed and so many abuse the ER because they do not have a regular doctor and their state provided health care will pay for the ER but not for the office visit. The other is 20 miles away and are terrific but most folks don't think to go there.  The urgent care centers are popping everywhere because of the issue with the ER. 

This ^.  Whatever kind of insurance one of my nieces has, they won't pay for urgent care but will pay for the ER.  So every little thing ties up the ER.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@granddi 

Huh ... never heard of that before!  

I even called the business office and re-explained. CS said "we saw over 2000 patients last year and we know how to do this."

New to me too. I better not get a bill.

Honored Contributor

So...   We have Urgent Care Centers, some independent and come owned by local hospitals.  There are probably 10 within a 15 minute drive from me.  One is 5 minutes away.  I've never used one.  I don't know why I would because if I have a true urgent or emergency, I would want to go to a hospital emergency room.  My PCP is part of a big medical group and they do have an urgent care department that is available if we want to be seen pronto

We have to call first, a np calls us back directs us to an emergency room or to urgent care.  I've used that a few times over the years.  Urgent care that is not open 7 days a week isn't really urgent care.  

Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

We have one about a 10 minute walk from us that is open 7 days until 8 pm.  

Any time I've had to use Urgent Care (very few), I haven't felt well enough to walk 10 min. to get there!!!

Me too!  If I could walk for 10 minutes to get there, and walk back.  Whatever's it is isn't urgent.