Honored Contributor

How to get back into “ The exercise Mode” again?

I eat healthy...my weight is where I want it...but, the last few years I just have not had any desire to exercise other than the occasional dog walk.  I have a basement full of great workout equipment ...so really no excuse not to go there and workout. I have the time to workout....but suddenly just DREAD the idea to workout even if I just walk on the treadmill.  I use to enjoy working out. Do not know why that switched off.

Suggestions on how to flip my brain into the workout mode for MY HEALTH....not concerned about doing it for looks

i will read the suggestions and follow this thread through today  and take in all the helpful ideas.  Hopefully this thread will inspire others like me to get up and MOVE🙂♥️👍

Trusted Contributor

Re: How to get back into “ The exercise Mode” again?

I hear you.   But I move my body every day.   Even if I don't feel like it I will make myself do it.  Sometimes I will set a timer for 10 minutes  [ something is better than nothing]   what usually happen's is I continue past the 10 minutes.  I feel so good after.  I get a really relaxed feeling.   Get outside ,  get fresh air   just keep walking  doesn't have to be anything big.  And just keep thinking about all the amazing benefits you will be getting just for you.

Respected Contributor

Following as I'm in the same mind set. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby exercises daily.  Has done this all his life.  We have a basement room that looks like a gym.  I DUST IT.  Exercise bores me. Never got the hang of it.  

However I go shopping and literally move down the rows at a high rate of speed.  No I don't knock anyone over.  LOL  Hubby cannot even catch up  with me.  

And my exercise.... Square dancing and round dancing(ballroom).  

If I don't enjoy it I cannot do it for more than one minute.  Just me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a lot more active pre-Covid and pre hurting my foot. Did yoga, tai chi and other exercise classes. We have a full gym in our building but except for a couple of times using the treadmill have not used it.  Used to love to walk but not so much now.  The definition of "inertia" --a body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest"

My body is at rest--LOL!!

Hope to get some motivation from responses here.

Respected Contributor

I own an elliptical and its the best investment I've ever made. 

I got into a funk for most of July when it was near 100 for days.

Even though my home has AC I just couldn't use it.

Last week I just forced myself! As they say, Just Do It!

No other way!!

Honored Contributor

From band in jr. high and drill team in high school I have been a lifelong exerciser/mover/shaker.  At times over the decades when I feel like stopping or skipping more than one day I just think of one thing,  "what else would I be doing?"  If it is just sitting or lying down not burning calories and building muscle tone then I get moving.  Plus thinking of pizza and other foods I want at least once a week does the trick as well.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I wrote myself a big note that I keepon my kitchen table. It says:  "EXERCISE OR ELSE!!!!!!!!  I've been doing a Jenny McClenndon YouTube 20 minute exercise.  I do it every day and jot down the date after I completed the program.  In the past couple of months, I've only missed one day.  Hope it continues!  20 minutes doesn't sound like much, I know.  But it's way more than I have been doing.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I want to want....to exercise, but I don't. I dust out gym equipment as well. I can't get into using the machines. I force myself to walk with music through ear pods. Walk, walk, and walk more. I just don't care for our elliptical machines, or any others for that matter. 

Esteemed Contributor

Anything I feel I need to do, I just make myself schedule it first thing in the day, so it's out of the way and I feel a bit smug - but in a good way - that I've completed the task. As for exercising, I do it 6-7 days a week and missed it when I wasn't able to do much for about 8 weeks. 

My suggestion is to just start doing anything. Maybe it's just 10 minutes on a treadmill or bike, listening to some good music. I did find that my fitbit was a great help to keep me motivated. I have one of the cheapest versions of fitbits, but it tracks my steps and heartrate, etc. Think of it like you do your IF ... you just do it ... you plan it out and you just keep yourself on point. Getting excercise helps with chasing away the blues, is good for your heart, lungs and skin.

Perhaps build in a non-food reward for 5 days a week of 10 - 15 minutes of exercise. Slowly increase your time until you get to 45 - 60 minutes a day/5 days a week. Buy some new shoes, a purse, lipgloss ... whatever item gives you a bit of pleasure for a job well done.

You can do it ... just take small bites at a time.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."