Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to get DH to get his hearing checked?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I certainly would not want someone telling 

me what to do.  It is his hearing, his business. Sure, mention it once....but if he is fine with his hearing, then do not nag at him. 

Not being to communicate affects both your life and your whole world.  No matter what you say the answer is , "Yeah."  He has no idea what you said and apparently he considers it "his business and just lives in denial."   Makes for a miserable existance....there is no life!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

me what to do.  It is his hearing, his business. Sure, mention it once....but if he is fine with his hearing, then do not nag at him. 

Not being to communicate affects both your life and your whole world.  No matter what you say the answer is , "Yeah."  He has no idea what you said and apparently he considers it "his business and just lives in denial."   Makes for a miserable existance....there is no life!

Remember the old riddle "If a tree falls in a forest......."? The world grows more and more silent. The effort to communicate becomes more and more burdensome. Social interaction becomes less frequent, less sensitive, less mutually satisfying. Independent functioning begins to deteriorate. Hearing is NOT the sole possession of the hearing impaired. Along wit the sense of touch, it is a sense that MUST be shared. 

NO ONE can be "fine" with diminished hearing because.........no one knows what they are missing if they aren't hearing it!

"I love you Grandpa". "You are the most wonderful man I've ever known." "Turn the light on please?" "Do you want strawberry or vanilla?" "Hope you feel better!"

Missing. 

Honored Contributor

Please remind your husband about being safe on the highway driving with a hearing loss.   

Esteemed Contributor

I told my husband that I wasn't appreciative that our livlihood (his job that provides our health insurance) would be gravely impaired when he lost it due to his inability to communicate.  If you have not lived with someone in this sort of denial it is difficult to know what it is like.  He would slurp food at the table and there was no conversation because, well, he was living in the ozone.

I just finally got really mad.  I was tired of looking like the neighborhood shrew, always yelling at him when we were outside (that got really complicated but I can't go into it) but he could not hear. And then he would complain that I was yelling but he still did not hear me!!!  I love my man but darn it he was a real SOB over this and it had to be resolved.  He is much happier now - less frustrated and and more accepting of the life that happens around him.

I ask every day if he is wearing the aid, and if it is turned on!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why people are reluctant to have their hearing tested.  I've worn hearing aids for more than 10 years.   They are expensive ... but worth every cent as far as "quality of life" is concerned.  

Only took a couple of days to get used to them.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Then get a divorce. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am so glad this thread was started.  I have wanted to address this issue for a long time but I knew that some of the posters had said they had a hearing problem and I did not want to hurt anyone's feelings.  I realize it can't be prevented but it can be corrected.   

@SeaMaiden  I like your idea!  Working on it!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You have no idea then what it's like to live with someone that has hearing loss.  It gets very frustrating and tiresome having to repeat things over and over again or having to yell every word that comes out of your mouth.

Honored Contributor

If you love someone dearly and have decades of history, the idea 💡 of divorcing them because they can't hear you may seem a little farther than you'd want to go.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

My SO got his hearing checked, got hearing aids....

refuses to wear them....no help!

$3,500 down the drain.  gluuug!

We have a next door neighbor like that. He bought them, but never wears them and conversations with him can be pretty funny.

The other day, I mentioned to him that I saw our family of otters playing in the creek behind our houses (they live in a lake, connected to the creek).

He later asked DH if I was sure I saw alligators in the creek, LOL!

We don't have any alligators in the lake or creek. 

try playing Bingo with someone who refuses to wear a hearing aid-can be hilarious.

Please wear your hearing aids if you have them. If not, please get checked by an audiologist.