Honored Contributor

Re: How to boost your immunity?

@proudlyfromNJ  I have a good immune system too, but I am still careful about touching other people's yuck.

My cousin's daughter got Mersa and that was an eye opener. She suffered for months.

Most of the time, I am home and don't have to deal with public places anymore.

Have you ever seen those TV programs where they test objects in public places?  It is interesting.  Bathrooms usually have the least  amount of germs and grocery stores and movie theatres have the most.

I also think having good oral hygiene and good oral health is important to keeping one healthy.

Trusted Contributor

Well I'd say it depends on how old you are.

If you're young I'd say stop trying to avoid every single germ on earth. You build an immune system as your body learns how to react to germs. I was a nailbiter and I suspect this is a big reason I never get sick.

If you're older I think you do need to try to avoid germs when possible. I think Vitamin C can help some but I think it's tough to really strengthen you immunity later.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

If you're young I'd say stop trying to avoid every single germ on earth. You build an immune system as your body learns how to react to germs. I was a nailbiter and I suspect this is a big reason I never get sick.

If you're older I think you do need to try to avoid germs when possible. I think Vitamin C can help some but I think it's tough to really strengthen you immunity later.

I think that's very true @pigletsmom...about age. For the most part, we are born with pretty complete and healthy immunity or at least with the equipment needed to build a good immune system and help the body fight disease, infection and then recover. With age things start breaking down at the cellular level  and there lies weak immune systems.  Some immunologists theorize that the aging process itself is rooted in an autoimmune response mechanism...that's mind boggling.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I have a good immune system too, but I am still careful about touching other people's yuck.

My cousin's daughter got Mersa and that was an eye opener. She suffered for months.

Most of the time, I am home and don't have to deal with public places anymore.

Have you ever seen those TV programs where they test objects in public places?  It is interesting.  Bathrooms usually have the least  amount of germs and grocery stores and movie theatres have the most.

I also think having good oral hygiene and good oral health is important to keeping one healthy.

@Carmie.  Yes, I have seen those programs. My nephew wouldn't let me keep an unused paper plate from the dinner table(his house, not mine) as he thought that disgusting. Meanwhile he was playing cards and counting bucketfuls of money as he reprimanded me! I asked him if he knew what one of the dirtiest things was. I told him it is what you have been running your fingers through for the last half hour with no thought for washing your hands.
And...never even wiped off the dinner table.

Respected Contributor

I find that Daily Nutra Mushroom Defense Formula really helps boost immunity..

Honored Contributor

I do a little bit of everything already mentioned here..healthy diet, exercise, getting enough rest, supplements,etc. 

But about once every 5 years or so, I get a cold or flu that stops me in my tracks.  Had one a month ago.  There was really nothing I could do to speed up the duration.  Just had to be patient and get over it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I think that's very true @pigletsmom...about age. For the most part, we are born with pretty complete and healthy immunity or at least with the equipment needed to build a good immune system and help the body fight disease, infection and then recover. With age things start breaking down at the cellular level  and there lies weak immune systems.  Some immunologists theorize that the aging process itself is rooted in an autoimmune response mechanism...that's mind boggling.

NAT:  I agree with all the above.  Even about the aging process being rooted in the autoimmune response.  I did not do research but in the work I did, had to write papers for continuing education.

Honored Contributor

I think if you eat a well balanced diet, take your vitamins, keep hydrated , wash your hands frequently and don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth when you are out and about, that should help.

Respected Contributor

I find that Daily Nutra Mushroom Defense Formula really helps boost my immunity..

Respected Contributor

Wish I had something I do to add to all listed here.  I can't say I do anything special....I have tried over the yrs just about everything mentioned here.  Hand washing and so on is at the top of the list of course.  With that said it has never helped me at all.  Having a autoimmune disease (hashimoto's thyroditis) perhaps plays into it?  Not sure.

Most of my life without fail I would catch a bad cold every yr.  All thur my young yrs and from then on...I am positive I had the flu several times also.  My husband maybe 2 times in the last 30yrs got a cold.  I would be sick and our kids too and he wouldn't catch it....at his work plenty of people sick hacking and coughing he catches nothing.  He isn't one to wash hands or use hand sanitizer but I did send a bottle with him to work and he does use it last few yrs.  

Strangest time for me was a few yrs ago for 2 whole yrs I didn't catch a cold...my spouse even got one then (his second one ever since marriage) and he was so MAD and kept saying why do I have this cold and you don't? He would say he is gonna give it to me....that was hurtful and mean.  I told him for one time in my life I didn't get ill you should be glad and do your best NOT to spread it to me.  

Then the following yr I had a reactivation of EBV and was ill for over a yr trying to get any energy back.  Just flattened.  

Spouse used to smoke for 40yrs.....and never worked out but worked tons of hours and traveled for job.  

Guess what I am saying is I think some of us must be born with a weaker immune system and others are as strong and rarely ever catch anything over their lifetime.  The difference between me and spouse is really stark.  Heck my father was the same way...maybe a cold 1 or 2 times ever in life time.  Smoked 4 packs a day...never worked out...desk job....alcoholic for 40yrs.  My Mom like myself caught everything...perhaps it's all in your genetics.