Super Contributor

Re: How to Calculate How Many Calories you Need Daily

Frosty, that's interesting. Exactly what tests does a physician request for determining a slow metabolism??

Super Contributor

I found it. I did a bod  pod assessment so I know my exact burn rate. It's low unfortunately and I'm 33% fat at a size 8!

Honored Contributor

more importantly.... not all calories are the same

Respected Contributor

@adamlambert wrote:

Frosty, that's interesting. Exactly what tests does a physician request for determining a slow metabolism??

As I said up-thread, if you think this may be a problem for you, you'll need to consult with your own physician as to the appropriate diagnostic steps. I only mentioned it because it was pertinent to showing that the "formula" doesn't really work. I'm sure you'll understand that anything more specific to my own diagnosis is personal and therefore private. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

OP can you go back and double check the formula, something is not right or the person who gave the formula is not a professional.

Both my husband and I had comprehensive breath tests done to determine our calorie needs, etc. and if I use the formula as given in the post the calorie needs are off by 500+

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

While I have been a big gamut of different weights much of my life, I have never counted calories or points or anything similar. My way of getting to any weight I desire has been through the experiences of learning how much, of what types of foods and drinks, my body is the most responsive.

I have chose what I want to weigh for my different physical type activities. For playing hockey my best weight was 20-25lbs. higher than the my best weight of distance running. For Marathon distances of 26.2 miles, I chose to be another 10+lbs. lighter than for shorter distances.

What I eat correlates with my activity levels, to gain weight/lose weights or maintain a weight. As I mentioned above, calories in are no something I count, my concern is specifically related to calories out(fuel burned) which is via my level and length of time and intensity of my activities while training(exercising) and my level of regular day activities.

Does this make it easy? Of course not, very few lose/gain or maintain their goal weights without a lot of hard physical and mental effort put into reaching and keeping a specific weight. My primary focus is the TYPE of weight I carry, in other words, my Body Composition Makeup of the ratio and/or my percentage(%) of muscle tissue to fat tissue. Body fat/fluid, and muscle weight are are all different, and achieved through different methods.

Learning what my body needed, and needs, was a "learn by experience", with my own body. It is an ongoing process as I go through the higher age groups, as my metabolism has and does change. I know what I want to weigh by the way I feel/the ease, or difficulty for my daily activities, and for my more strenuous types of exercising, 1 of which is my love of ice skating, where every single pound chances my balance points on skates. With skating, balance is the main controller of one's ability to skate, without it very few become proficient in this specific activity.

Long, as usual, but I wanted to let you, and others that may be interested enough to read this post, that calories regardless of who the expert might be, and their numbers mean little when it comes to different and specific bodies.

One size does not fit all, and no 1 expert can mathematically calculate the caloric needs of every specific body. Give guidelines, yes, but will that be the complete answer? No it will not. The sooner in life a person learns what, and how much fuel(food and drink) their body needs to accomplish their goals, the better off they will be.

Maintaining and controlling ones weight and muscle/liquid and fat ratio, is an ongoing thing throughout life, and that is true for everyone.

Finally, The End!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

It was Chris Powell.

I see other places he says multiply your current body weight times 12.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

more importantly.... not all calories are the same

Of course!  The voice of reason! 

If one wants the burden of tracking anything,

track FAT and/or FIBER grams.

20-40 fat grams

100 fiber grams

Some days it’s easy, some days it’s not. 

Just a good guideline.

If one eats to Calorie Density, though, your body will release any

weight naturally to ‘right the ship’. You don’t have to think about it.

Low fat, whole foods, plant based....eat ad libitum. 

The human body consumes 3-5lbs of food a day.

Choose wisely. 

B3688B76-D664-479A-809E-59993885BE9F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

It has been scientifically proven that weight loss is not a matter of calories in/calories out. 

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@adamlambert wrote:

As I said up-thread, if you think this may be a problem for you, you'll need to consult with your own physician as to the appropriate diagnostic steps. I only mentioned it because it was pertinent to showing that the "formula" doesn't really work. I'm sure you'll understand that anything more specific to my own diagnosis is personal and therefore private. 

============

So helpful to the discussion.