Honored Contributor

How to Calculate How Many Calories you Need Daily

I saw a fitness expert on T.V. mention this formula:

• Begin with your current weight.
  • Multiply it by 8.
  • Add 200.

That is the your ideal number of calories to maintain that weight.

Add 100 calories to your total if you exercise.

I had read that for weight loss, you should set your goal weight and multiply that number by 10 to get your total calories.

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: How to Calculate How Many Calories you Need Daily

Interesting - as I read this I justt put my tracker back on my wrist

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I do not know about the number, but I think it has more to do with what kinds of calories you are consuming for your sustenance.

Honored Contributor

I think this would be too high. Most diabetics - unless they are very obese or way too thin - diabetics of averge size - are started out on 1200 cal diets. Keep your fat under 40 gm a day and you carbs under 60 gm a day is actually a better way to keep track of your eating and should result in a balanced, healthy diet. Those who exercise daily would need to add to that to account for their level of exercise or they would start to lose weight. There is a book called THE CALORIE KING that you can use to keep track of your fat & carb grams.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa I completely agree.

Honored Contributor

My only caution with formulas like this is for petite people like me, I can work this formula and get 1000 calories a day.  Most health experts will tell you that is dangerously low and not sustainable long term. 

If you are getting anything under 1500 calories long term, I would absolutely check with a health professional which should be done anyway for anyone looking for information like this.

And @Harpa is absoutely right.  Quality over quantity is extremely important for health and nutrition as well as a variety of foods.  Eat real food and forget the formulas.  If you are eating correctly most of the time,  your body will tell you what it needs and when it's done.        

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It might be a loose guideline from which to gain a general starting point, but for me personally, it wouldn't work.

My metabolism is on the slow side (yes, it's been confirmed thru medical testing). Even with 90 minutes of high intensity exercise 5 times a week, I gain weight if I eat more than 1200-1300 calories a day. That's gross, not net. I don't "eat back" any exercise calories. That's just how my body works. 

I've had to fight to stay at a healthy weight my entire life. I finally developed the approach that my body is a machine, and food is the fuel that runs the machine. I go for the "highest octane", finest, most efficient fuel that I can get. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 How do you get your metabolism checked.That is interesting to me.I can eat like crazy and not gain weight but my son has to cut way back and work out really hard to lose weight and the minute he stops the weight is back.He is young and has always had what I thought of as slow metabolism.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 How do you get your metabolism checked.That is interesting to me.I can eat like crazy and not gain weight but my son has to cut way back and work out really hard to lose weight and the minute he stops the weight is back.He is young and has always had what I thought of as slow metabolism.

You'll need to talk to your physician regarding what testing may be appropriate for you. The proper steps for my diagnosis wouldn't necessarily apply to anyone else. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

Frosty, that's interesting. Exactly what tests does a physician request for determining a slow metabolism??