Respected Contributor

Wow I just googled this and I didn't know the lack of estrogen as we age causes this to happen!  

https://urogyn.coloradowomenshealth.com/patients/library/menopause-urinary-symptoms

I get up several times per night usually and that is also listed in this article.  

I use bio-identical hormones (estrogen patch and progestin pill) but I think there should be a compounding pharmacy in your area that could do the bio's in a cream for this reason. Your doctor could ok a script directly thur them for it.

Honored Contributor
@marip I am a licensed pharmacy tech. Premarin is conjugated estrogen.

If you have had any issues with female cancers or estrogen sensitivity, not the medication for you. It's a derived hormone and topical administration like a cream puts it directly into your bloodstream through the skin.

If you want a true recommendation, best most underutilized resource is your local pharmacist. Call or visit him or her. They know more than your doctor does about any medication you are debating and can tell you what most people's experiences are with it.

Esteemed Contributor

When I went in to early menopause (about 12 years ago), my doctor put me on Premarin.

I took it for about a week, then I got to thinking.

My mother would not have taken it, because menopause is a natural part of a woman's life.

It's not a disease that needs to be cured, so why treat like it is one?

It was just starting to come out about the connection between HRT and heart attacks.

And, even then, I knew that Premarin was made from pregnant mare urine. Hence the name.

PRE = pregnant 

Mar = mare

IN = urine

For those reasons, I stopped taking it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@marip 

My neuro and gyn, working in concert with eachother, recommended estrogen therapy in the form of an estrogen gel applied to the inside of each arm (or thigh) versus Premarin.

However, prior to even coming close to writing the prescription, my gyn handed me a seven page questionnaire requiring completion.  The questions were relevant to my medical history and that of the females on both sides of my family.  It was quite involved.  Bottom Line:  It provided the means to determine my risk factors in developing breast cancer and other serious side effects of estrogen therapy.

Note:  If your gynecologist failed to provide you with such a document, followed by a serious discussion regarding your history and that of your family, he/she failed to determine whether or not you were a true candidate for estrogen therapy.  If that is the case, you might very well have a good reason to worry.

Respected Contributor

I can’t use any type of estrogen product ( I was on hrt for years prior to getting breast cancer) so atrophy and the issues that accompany it, are a problem.The NP I go to for routine check ups, told me about a laser rejuvenation procedure called Juliet that addresses those issues and apparently has a good success rate.

Its about a thousand dollars per treatment however, and three treatments are recommended. I did a little research on it but have not chosen to get the treatments.

Honored Contributor

Re: How safe is Premarin?

[ Edited ]

If you practice nonviolence and a healthy lifestyle is important to you, you would never consider this product.  Do the research and consider alternatives.

Honored Contributor

@SuziQ2 wrote:

My Mom used to be on it after her hysterectomy.  She ended up having memory issues.

The combination of this medicine, low B vitamins in her diet, and one other thing, can cause memory problems.  Do as much research as you can online and find out as much as you can about this product.  Everything you take....has side effects unless it is totally natural.  Good luck

lots of things are "natural" but I wouldn't ingest them

everything has a side effect, need to decide risks/reward

Honored Contributor

@marip 

No one should use Premarin. 

Two brands you you should check out on Amazon are Smoky Mountain Naturals and Emerita. Read the reviews and then try one or the other. 

Contributor

Thanks our check it out on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Re: How safe is Premarin?

[ Edited ]

I haven't been on the boards much lately but felt I needed to respond to this.  I am very much against Premarin.  I took it in pill form in my late 40's.  I started having pain....lot's of pain.  The doctors sent me in for xrays and found I had two rather large tumors ( they thought they were tumors) on my liver.  One on the right lobe and one on the left.  After more tests they found out they were hemangiomas.  They told me they wouldn't operate unless I was in excruciating pain because they were bleeders and so was the liver.  Otherwise..... it meant it would be a very dangerous operation for me to have.  The  internalist said I was born with the hemangiomas and, to  his knowledge, estrogen didn't have anything to do with them.  My family doctor begged to differ and said since that was the only new medication I was taking, it stands to reason I should stop it and see what happens.  I stopped it and the hemangiomas shrunk down to nothing and are barely dectectable now.  Thank God for my family doctor.  That was over 20 yrs. ago and I have never had another problem with them. Never took another estrogen pill either!