Occasional Contributor

How old is too old to start over at the gym

I went to check out a new gym today..At all most 62 I feel it may be too late to start all over again and don't know where to even start..I use to walk 5 miles a day and do pilates and elliptical..HELP{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How old is too old to start over at the gym

I am 78 and still go to the gym. Working out for 55 years. I do what you just stated and yoga Just stopped Zumba, hurts back. I work out 6 days a week. I do my own housework and take care of two big yards. I just trimmed with an electric edged 17 bushes, better than a professional Gardner. This is what working out at a gym and on your own does for you. You are never too old unless you think you are too old. If you want to be strong and independent in your later years, get started now.
Super Contributor

On 10/19/2014 qvcaddition said: I am 78 and still go to the gym. Working out for 55 years. I do what you just stated and yoga Just stopped Zumba, hurts back. I work out 6 days a week. I do my own housework and take care of two big yards. I just trimmed with an electric edged 17 bushes, better than a professional Gardner. This is what working out at a gym and on your own does for you. You are never too old unless you think you are too old. If you want to be strong and independent in your later years, get started now.

ELEVEN YEARS OLDER THAN YOU AND I AGREE...I do not wear the leotard but girl I went with a gal friend one day and i was amazed at the older girls tearing it up and so fit.

Did you say you hedged the shrubs ? You are doing great as I see some at 40 who act as if they are ready to give up.

GOOD FOR YOU

Frequent Contributor

The gym itself is important, I prefer the gym at our local hospital. Those working out are not there to "strut what they have."...but to keep what the have strutting! Older, friendly people who are working to keep it moving! Find a place where you are comfortable and you are more apt to go.
Respected Contributor

2cute.....I'm with you ! I at 63, I too need to get back to working out.I used to run 5 miles nearly every day, and do total gym and free weights. Thank you gals for your inspiring posts !
Honored Contributor

A lot depends on where you go to work out. I go to the gym at the YMCA here in my town where most of the folks who live here are retired so it is filled with folks in my own age group. When we are up north I went to the near by fitness club and it was all staffed with and used by teens and young adults and it was not a comfortable atmosphere for me. When I would ask the staff a question I got attitude. I finally quit going and wrote a letter to the company that owned the place about the staff attitude toward older patrons.

Respected Contributor

i don't think that it's ever too late to start (or re-start inyour case)! if you used to go to a gym before, then how uncomfortable can it be? except if there are lots of young people there ... i guess that would be difficult. but if you decide to get a membership and get back into it, then you should not allow anyone else to make you feel uncomfortable. you should just push through any feelings that are not comfortable and keep going!

i am 65 and just recently started going to our gym for the first time ever. talk about feeling uncomfortable! although i will say that i live in a 55+ community and the gyms (there are two) are part of our community, so at least everyone in the gym is my age.

good luck to all of us!

Honored Contributor

1) start slowly if you haven't been exercising

2) wear a good pair of shoes

3) ask the gym staff for an orientation or hire a trainer to learn how to use the equipment

4) if you haven't had a physical in a while, now might be a good time to get one!

Honored Contributor

Exercise at any age is great. Not so sure it has to be at a gym.

Honored Contributor

The only time you're too old is when you're dead.

62 is NOT old. Start easy and work your way up.