Valued Contributor

Re: How much vitamin D 3 do you take in the winter ?

One must be careful about the amount of Vitamin D one takes.

It is very important to take. 

It helps with the immune system.

Vitamin D is a hormone though classified as a vitamin.

Seeing a doctor and having the Vitamin D level check at least once a year is probably best. Your doctor can then suggest the amount and the dosage you take.

Honored Contributor

DH and I take 5000 IU  of  vitamin D3 daily.  Have for  many years.

Honored Contributor

I take D3 5000 daily and my prescription is 50,000 weekly for D2 which I also take.  I get checked every 6 months to ensure I am not over or very under.

Honored Contributor

@msgb wrote:

Seeing a doctor and having the Vitamin D level check at least once a year is probably best. Your doctor can then suggest the amount and the dosage you take.

@msgb wrote:

@msgb 

Because I am immunglobulin deficient, I take it per doctor advice/prescription.  I would never take, even vitamins, without my immunologist's or hematologist's awareness.  I just saw him Friday.  I am good.

Trusted Contributor

Had my bloodwork in November and my VitD3 level was slightly low -- just a tad below normal. I had been taking 1000IU daily year-round. Doctor suggested doubling to 2000IU and I have felt better. I'll keep this dosage until my next physical and see what the level is at that time.

I have a friend who takes a lot more than I do, and I always wonder if it's too much.

Esteemed Contributor

Vit D is fat soluable  so serum  levels can get to high . Talk with your Doctor and get the lab test to check your  current Vit D level . Vit D is prescribed if yoyr level is 25 or less. 

Routine TSH and Vitamin D levels are ordered by most Physicians for men and women .

Your Doctor  will indicate  the dose of Vit D you should take.

I would never guess at how much Vit D to buy over the counter .

Always discuss with your Doctor

Trusted Contributor

@Kinz  Same here.  5K per day every day of the year.  My level is exactly where my PCP wants it to be.  

Respected Contributor

My doctor recommends Centrum Silver.  The label says it contains 500 IU of vitamin D.  

Trusted Contributor

2,500 IU/day, although I'd like to increase that because my level is at the lower end of the normal range, but too much D affects my stomach.  Perhaps if I try increasing every other day.  I have stayed out of the sun completely for many years due to skin cancer.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

5000 IU daily.  Summer I back off to 2000 IU.

At my physical recently I double checked with my doctor and he said 5000 IU is fine.

Many years ago before I knew about this, I saw my doctor in February and told her I was so sleepy and unmotivated.  She had my D checked and it was around 7.  She prescribed 50,000 IU - one pill a week for 8 weeks.  I returned after 8 weeks and it was where it should be.  From that point on, I've been on between 2000 and 5000 for years.

It definitely made a huge difference!